World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Purpose of the Position
- In the context of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme, the incumbent will lead WHO’s information team and supervise the respective functional areas, at the country level. Provide authoritative advice to the emergency team on risk analysis, strategic information policy, procedures and best practices, monitoring, information and data management.
- The incumbent will be deployed to emergency operations when required.
Objectives of the Programme
- The mission of the WHO Health Emergencies Programme (The Programme) is to help countries, and to coordinate international action, to prevent, prepare for, detect, rapidly respond to, and recover from outbreaks and emergencies.
- Reporting to the WHO Health Emergencies (WHE) Lead and under the leadership of the Head of WHO Country Office, the incumbent acts as an advisor to the WHO emergency team on data and information management activities, enabling the development, implementation, and monitoring strategies that maximize the individual and collective impact of WHO throughout the full cycle of the emergency, in the country of deployment.
- S/he will engage with the local authorities, UN partners and non-health actors to establish strategic partnerships in respect of multi-dimensional information management processes.
- The present position under WHE (which is a single programme across the Organization) may be relocated to another duty station, including at Regional or Country level, based upon the technical needs of the Programme.
Summary of Assigned Duties
- Lead the team and be responsible for overseeing the work of the Information Management unit and/or coordinate the work of Information Management assets located throughout disparate units.
- Manage the timely and high-quality collection, analysis, production and dissemination of data/information. This includes response specific information (what, where, who, how many, how quickly, current status), internal and external situation reports (SitReps), bulletins, rapid needs assessments, health risk assessments, and the Public Health Situation Analysis; and health inputs into humanitarian needs overviews (HNO), and strategic response plans (SRP).
- Lead the development of project documentation based on the overall strategy and plan, for use by the emergency leadership to mobilize resources.
- Continually adapt planning and project documents based on available information and revolving emergency situation, as required; this includes planning and management of human and material resources, expenditure, status of interventions and partner activities, progress towards achieving objectives, etc.
- Develop and improve field information management procedures at the local and regional levels to ensure that information management in the field provides the best possible functionality and usability to stakeholders
- Ensure inter-cluster communication and information sharing.
- Oversee and design field epidemiological surveys if/where needed, such as mortality and vaccination coverage surveys, with support from epidemiologists as needed.
- Build the capacity of team members and partners involved in the planning and data/information management process; provide ongoing technical guidance and training on data gathering and analysis, quality assurance, performance monitoring, information dissemination and management.
- Perform any other related duties, as required by the functional supervisor.
- An advanced university degree (Master's level or above) in Information management or Public Health, or Epidemiology; Business or Public Administration, complemented by training in information management from an accredited/recognized institute.
- Specialization in information management systems. Specific training in humanitarian response or information management in emergencies.
- At least 7 years of related experience in information management, monitoring, needs assessment, project management, data management and information dissemination in the public health sector or health development sector, at national and international levels, part of which in emergency management or humanitarian context in leadership positions.
- Experience in developing and promoting collaborative partnerships.
- Relevant work experience in WHO, other UN agencies; experience working in relevant non-governmental or humanitarian organizations. Experience in developing countries.
Use of Language Skills:
- Excellent knowledge of English or French (depending on the country of assignment).
- Working knowledge of another WHO official language would be an asset.
Other Skills (IT):
- Advanced use of MS Office, particularly spreadsheets, data visualization and analysis tools, and databases
- Design and management of information systems
- Familiarity with geographic information systems (GIS)
- Skill in use of one or more statistical analysis programmes (, R, STATA, SAS, SPSS)
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences;
Functional Knowledge and Skills:
- Describe the essential knowledge and the skills specific to the position
- Demonstrated supervisory and leadership skills, negotiation skills.
- Advanced ability to design, manage, analyze and coordinate complex information system projects, computer-based applications and databases, web-based tools
- High level of analytical skills.
- Knowledge of programme management and functioning of WHO and the UN system is an asset.
- Please note that the closing date for receipt of applications indicated above reflects your personal device's system settings.
- This vacancy is in English but Francophones are encouraged to apply. Successful candidates will be posted in both French and English speaking countries depending on their first language.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/549989 to apply for this job .