The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA), the leading UN organization in Reproductive Health and Population and Development, is recruiting personnel for the vacant position above.
- The position will be under the general supervision of the UNFPA Representative and the direct supervision of the Deputy Representative.
- The incumbent will assist the Country Office analyses, assesses relevant political, social and economic trends, and provides substantive inputs to project formulation and situation and donor reporting of UNFPA Humanitarian interventions for UNFPA.
- S/he will assist the Country Office in the planning, coordination, and implementation of humanitarian interventions, including rapid assessments, programme development, and implementation.
- S/he provides direct support to the Nigeria country office in the acute response phase and, will closely work with national authorities, humanitarian agencies, civil society and local counterparts to provide humanitarian assistance to the crisis affected communities in a manner consistent with the methodology outlined in the Inter-Agency Standing Committee Cluster system and Humanitarian Programme Cycle at the national level.
- S/he builds the capacity of implementing partners especially Government counterpart and NGOs working in the state on Reproductive health issues, Gender-Based Violence and Data for Development. S/he analyses assess relevant political, social and economic trends, and provides substantive inputs to project formulation, monitoring and evaluation, joint programming initiatives and humanitarian frameworks in line with the humanitarian principles and standards.
- Provides overall backstopping support to the Humanitarian Coordinator’s functions.
Main Tasks & Responsibilities
Programme Development and Implementation:
- Ensure inclusion of RH, GBV, and gender concerns in joint UNCT documents including rapid assessments in close collaboration with RH and GBV officers.
- Advise the UNFPA Country Office assist in the preparation for and participate in coordination meetings relating to emergency response, and ensure follow up at the operational office in Maiduguri.
- Support the development of CERF, Flash Appeal proposals and ensure quality review on resources mobilization.
- Coordinate the implementation of the UNFPA Standards Operating Procedures for humanitarian settings.
- Liaise with UNFPA ROs, SROs, and HQ units to share information, provide necessary updates and seek guidance as necessary.
- Identify areas of collaboration with humanitarian agencies and national counterparts to address RH, HIV/AIDS, youth, gender and GBV issues in their plans, and programmes.
- Liaise with community organizations, faith-based organizations, and community leaders to increase their participation in the process of planning, monitoring and evaluating activities.
- Participate in Country Office and other cluster/ inter-agency meetings as needed.
- Monitor and evaluate overall progress in the achievement of the result on UNFPA Progress in the achievement of the result on UNFPA programming area including reproductive health gender and data for development in a humanitarian setting.
Rapid Assessments/field Visits:
- As appropriate, participate in /ensure inclusion of UNFPA’s core Areas of Responsibility in rapid field/needs assessments of the crisis-affected populations.
- If applicable, visit IDPs, host communities, and conduct in-depth interviews with community leaders, and other agencies present on the ground to gather information on the immediate needs of the people and the services to be provided.
- Undertake missions and assessments as appropriate to recommend strategic approaches and to address issues, such as RH, HIV/AIDS, gender, GBV, mental health and psychosocial issues, data and young people.
Orientation / Training:
- Orient Country Office on Humanitarian Reform and UNFPA’s role within the reform, especially as it relates to the Cluster Approach and the contents CERF Life-Saving Criteria and provide overall orientation on UNFPA’s humanitarian mandate and Standards Operating Procedures (SOPs)
- Familiarize/orient the Country Office with existing rapid needs assessment tools.
- Familiarize/ Orient the Country Office staff with existing UNFPA emergency procedures.
- As requested, coordinate Country Office various interventions and represent UNFPA at Cluster / Working Group coordination meetings to share knowledge and ensure comprehensive understanding.
- Ensure inclusion of UNFPA mandate through participation in existing Clusters, and/or, if appropriate, assist in the establishment of working groups to address RH, GBV, and gender.
- Liaise with other sectors/Clusters (such as health, protection, WASH, camp management, education, logistics, early recovery) to ensure inclusion of
- Assist the Country Office in preparing relevant advocacy material and updates for relevant stakeholders and partners including donors.
- Assist in providing regular updates to OCHA and/or Cluster leads on UNFPA’s humanitarian interventions to be included in situation reports (OCHA SitRep).
- Track and regularly update supported humanitarian interventions ( status of funding proposals, distribution of supplies, training
Resource Mobilization/Humanitarian funding:
- Advocate for inclusion of ICPD PoA in emergency response and ensure UNFPA is well positioned in resource mobilization efforts, including humanitarian funding mechanisms such as Flash Appeal/ CERF).
- As necessary, identify and organize meetings with in-country donors to discuss resource mobilization.
- Provide coaching to newly recruited staff and consultants, where appropriate.
- Coach and build capacity of staff members and staff of implementing partners responding to emergency/humanitarian crisis, as needed.
- Master’s degree in Public Health and/or other related Social Science field
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum of 5 years of related work experience in programme/project management in the public or private sector linked to reproductive health and rights issues in humanitarian settings.
- Experienced working with government institutions and donor organizations.
- Familiar with issues on population, reproductive health, gender, youth and Minimum Initial Service Package.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Have a strong capability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written English.
- Ability to work under pressure.
- Excellent communication and human relation skills.
- Proficiency in current office software applications is mandatory
- Commitment to UNFPA Values and Guiding Principles;
- Developing People/Fostering Innovation and Empowerment/Performance Management;
- Team Work/Communication/Self-Management
- Strategic Thinking/Results Orientation and Commitment to Excellence/Decision Making;
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Learning
- Ability to lead, develop and motivate a diverse team of specialists
- Advocacy/advancing a policy-oriented agenda
- Results-based programme development and management
- Leveraging the resources of national governments and partners/building strategic alliances and partnerships
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Resource mobilization (Programme)
- Job knowledge.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/549509 to apply for this job .