ActionAid Nigeria (AAN) is a human rights-based organization that works with poor and excluded communities, promoting their rights and empowering people living in poverty to take necessary action to end poverty. Established in 1999, AAN is an affiliate of ActionAid Federation focusing on social justice, gender equality and poverty eradication using the Human Rights Based Approach. This is focused on protecting and fulfilling the human rights of people living in poverty as the best way to eradicate poverty and injustice. In Nigeria, AAN has worked in over 30 states supporting programme/projects interventions while promoting pro-poor programmes at all levels. By building local organizations, and linking these organizations into networks, platforms, alliances, and movements at the local and national levels, AAN helped build a broad movement for change.
- The post holder will be a member of the Country Management Team and will be expected to oversee and manage all AAN projects under this strategic focus; s/he will have oversight on the policy and campaigns projects, tax justice, social investments and other campaign-related projects within the organization.
S/he will also provide high-quality service to ActionAid Nigeria in the following areas:
- Identify gaps in knowledge, thinking & practice around public policy and movements in AAN and developing alternative concepts for filling these gaps.
- Provide & create knowledge using Human Right based approach, especially on working within an RBA (inputs into training programmes, conferences & ambassadors’ events) to strengthen ActionAid Nigeria staff capacity and motivation for knowledge-use, critical thinking, experiential learning, popular and participatory methods of knowledge capture, processing, packaging, and sharing.
- Provide leadership in identifying gaps in public policies and work out detailed official policy alternatives from the perspectives of the poor and excluded in Nigeria in response to identified gaps
- Provide leadership in the development and strengthening of partnerships among stakeholders, government departments and NGOs for effective collaboration and coordination on strategic national & global concerns.
- Monitor and assess trends, developments, forces, tendencies; make a critical analysis of the public sphere at the national and international level and advise AAN on appropriate responses to such emerging trends.
- Lead AAN engagement with policy-making institutions and organs and provide proper linkage between local policy initiatives and national and international policy issues
- Work with IASL in Knowledge Management for the purpose of harnessing critical and analytical learning from all ActionAid’s work to create proper documentation, resources for evidencing our work, evidencing for advocacy and campaigns, analytics new knowledge and continued learning.
- Strengthen inter-thematic linkages in AAN’s social movement initiatives and interventions.
- Contribute to ActionAid single campaign.
- Contribute to AAI annual plans and reports
Representation and communications:
- Overall responsibility for AAN participation in and contribution to the international policy advocacy and campaigns.
- Represent AAN in official and non-official policy forums
- Participate in relevant national advocacy networks and initiatives
- Develop a national institution advocacy strategy (intergovernmental, economic, trade, development, co-operation bodies)
- Contribute to AAN’s strategic decision making, particularly relating to policy work
- Provide quarterly State of the Nations Report to AAN Governing Board to guide the board in its communications on the state of affairs of the nation.
- Represent AAN in Tax Justice working group of International Platform 2
Movement & alliance building:
- Engage in formal partnerships and build alliances with national institutions and academic bodies around specific issues.
- Identify organizations with expertise in advocacy mainstreaming, and right based approaches to implement mainstreaming strategies in Nigeria.
- Link with influential policy institutes, NGOs, and academic bodies in Nigeria for the exchange of ideas, experience, access to talent, and explore the potential for supporting independent thinking, and strategic alliances.
- Identify for the organization informal networks, pre-existing institutional structures and formal organizations who share common views with AAN and have the capacity for organization and the actual mobilization of citizens for collective action.
- Identify instances of favorable changes in the external political system and other shifting levels of opportunity that emerge across time and place which could generate and sustain collective actions on issues of the poor, good governance and accountability.
Development of Knowledge & Alternatives:
- Policy advocacy and campaign positions, quality, standards and associated capacity strengthening
- Learn about the most interesting policy-related issues and methods in Nigeria (particularly relating to rights approaches and participatory policy work) and disseminate and encourage critical debate
- Work out and present detailed official policy alternatives from the perspectives of the poor and excluded.
- Promote the development of core positions for AAN on key strategic themes and issues
- Develop and maintain a database on thematic issues, methodologies and institutions for policy development and influencing.
- Coordinate collaborative action/research with other independent CBOs, NGOs, policy institutes and academic institutions.
- Serve as a policy research resource and link person.
- Generate, document, disseminate and promote the results of our policy work, capturing new knowledge and learning.
Strategic Thinking and Planning:
- To work with others to promote accelerated knowledge and learning on key ActionAid thematic areas
- Support project managers to ensure that quality of policy research outputs are consistent with ActionAid ALPS & Campaign vision
- Ensure there is in place effective mechanisms for the dissemination of policy research findings and their promotion to key policymakers and relevant stakeholders for the purpose of policy influencing.
- Lead the team in project steering committee meetings
- Work with the Head Resource Mobilisation to raise adequate resources for Policy and
- Advocacy work.
- Any other task as assigned by line manager.
- Internal Relationships: AAN team
- External Relationships: CSOs, Research Institutes, and relevant government agencies.
- Bachelor's degree in Social Sciences or Arts/Humanities - Essential
- Masters’ degree in a relevant field - Essential
- Membership of relevant professional Institute - Desirable
- A minimum of 8 years’ work experience - Essential
- A minimum of 4 years’ experience in policy, advocacy and campaigns in Nigeria - Essential
- Experience of, and commitment to, policy influencing, networking, and advocacy work. - Essential
- History of working with and within movements. - Essential
- Knowledge of policy, CSOs, media and youth movements landscape in Nigeria - Essential
- Experience in community-based work and engagements with CSOs - Essential
- Experience in working in an International Development organisation - Desirable
- Strong communication and writing skills - Essential
- Excellent research, analytical and writing skills - Essential
- Proven strong and charismatic management and leadership skills and experience - Essential
- Excellent strategic planning and analytical skill - Essential
- Negotiation skills - Essential
- Demonstrable IT skills - Essential
- Highly numerate - Desirable
- A strong commitment to human rights and socio-economic justice and proven track record in exercising human rights - Essential
- An appreciation of the need for innovative ways of learning and knowledge development - Essential
- Flexibility to travel - Essential
- Willing to work additional hours at crucial times - Essential
- Self-motivated person able to work without close supervision - Essential
- Able to work effectively in a diverse team environment - Essential
- Effectively promote the AAN’s mission, values and objectives - Essential
- Interested and qualified candidates should download and complete the "Application Form" below and send together with their Curriculum Vitae in MSWord attachment.
- The subject line of the email should state clearly - "Job Title of Position applied for and Location eg Manager, Social Mobilisation - Abuja".
- Only electronically submitted forms will be considered. Scanned application forms and CVs will be disregarded.
- ActionAid offers competitive terms of employment. Applications from women and candidates from the North East and North West are particularly encouraged.
- While we respect all applicants, interview dates will be communicated only to shortlisted candidates.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/549351 to apply for this job .