The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) is driven by the vision of a world without malnutrition. GAIN is a Swiss-based foundation that mobilizes public-private partnerships and provides financial and technical support to deliver nutritious foods to those people most at risk of malnutrition. GAIN is delivering improved nutrition to an estimated 700 million people in more than 30 countries, half of whom are women and children. Nutrition products are as varied as fortified cooking oil and flour in Africa, soy sauce in China and biscuits in India, as well as specialized products for infant and young child nutrition and interventions to protect the most vulnerable affected by emergencies or chronic illness.
- The Finance and Administration Manager is a key position in the Nigeria country office.
- This position is expected to provide essential administrative, governance, financial, HR, IT and internal control services to the program operations whilst ensuring compliance with global GAIN policies, systems, and procedures.
- The Finance and Administration Manager is expected to be both responsive and proactive to operational requirements with an ability to plan the work of program support.
- S/he is part of the country office leadership and ensures compliance with external requirements, such as local laws and regulations and donor, partner, service provider and vendor contractual obligations.
- S/he is responsible for safeguarding GAIN’s interest in these transactions and interactions, providing effective first level stewardship of GAIN’s assets, resources, staff and premises.
- S/he provides support to the Country Director, staff and consultants in maintaining good relationships with external stakeholders.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Finance, Budget and Grants Management:
- The Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for the supervision and coordination of the finance, budget and grant function in the country office. The following is an illustrative but not exhaustive list of tasks:
- Ensure availability of Finance manual and procedures, their understanding by employees, Executive Agencies and consultants and their successful implementation.
- Supervise Finance section and ensure financial transactions are recorded in line with GAIN norms and standards in timely fashion. Maintain financial records including ledger, journal, petty cash and cash books and bank details. Manage receivables and payables in line with GAIN guidelines. Prepare cash flow and fund flow statements for review.
- Oversee monthly closing, ensuring all transactions for the month are recorded accurately and deadlines set by GAIN headquarter are met.
- Ensure accurate and timely release of salary and other payments to staff. Oversee the changes in salary and maintain the consistencies with HR records at headquarter.
- Coordinate with local banks and ensure opening of the bank account of GAIN and timely review of the bank.
Statements and Bank Reconciliation:
- Support Country Director on the preparation of program budgets, analysis of grants and expenditure.
- Prepare country budgets and finalize them in collaboration with HQ finance and program departments.
- In coordination with consultants and program teams at country office and headquarter, engage in timely preparation of budgets and quarterly pipelines.
- Ensure preparation and availability of statutory financial records (e.g. income tax return) and tax compliance and compliances relating to foreign grants.
- Secure the proper filling and storage of all financial records
- Oversee the proper monitoring of GAIN’s funds and assets which are transferred to EAs (Executive Agencies) for the implementation of GAIN programs.
Office Administration, Establishing Systems and Processes:
- The Finance and Administration Manager will provide leadership and management support to all aspects of GAIN Nigeria office administration functions and establish systems and processes for the smooth functioning of the office. S/he would closely work with Country Director, Senior Advisor, Project Managers and the Corporate Services team in HQ to ensure that all responsibilities are carried out in a timely manner. S/he will function as secretary/scribe to the senior programme management/oversight group (PMG/SMT). The following is an illustrative but not exhaustive list of tasks:
- Ensure staff is aware of, understand and comply with GAIN’s Administrative policies and procedures, e.g. Procurement, Security, Travel and Expense reporting.
- Oversee security management for the country office, develop sound security management and support within the country office, in collaboration with the global security support
- Ensure that security incidents are reported/escalated in a timely manner to the CD, global support teams and other relevant stakeholders across GAIN
- Ensure strict compliance to GAIN Nigeria and global security policies and codes
- Coordinate with real estate agents and vendors to secure favorable leasing arrangements following GAIN norms. Coordinate with HQ Legal to finalize arrangements.
- Ensure absolute integrity and transparency in the procurement function and ensure the best value for money is obtained and requirements of GAIN are met in a cost effective and timely fashion. Ensure timely and accurate payments to vendors.
- Ensure proper security and safety of the staff members and premises and finalize security and insurance arrangements as per GAIN norm.
- Oversee the proper upkeep and maintenance of office premises and working facilities like telephone system, photocopying machines and furniture to provide the best possible physical environment for staff to discharge their duties.
- Ensure all service contracts are valid and maintained.
- Ensure timely verification of stocks and assets, inventories at the office and project sites as deemed fit.
- Manage the vehicle administration activity to ensure proper upkeep of Vehicles, cost optimization, proper maintenance and usage as per GAIN policies. Ensure log books are accurate in order to have complete transparency in its usage. Timely insure all hired vehicles as per established procedures.
- Manage the logistics of visitors to the country office as required.
- Develop and facilitate convergence between resource and logistics of different projects.
- Complete the required documentation, like official request from the government authorities for GAIN assistance and facilitating meeting within the Program Office for mobilization of response.
Internal Governance Management:
- The Finance and Administration Manager would support strengthening internal governance including legal matters such as registration. The following is an illustrative but not exhaustive list of tasks:
- Coordinate with the legal retainer/lawyer at Nigeria and NGO Affairs Bureau on post registration and any other statutory compliance requirements. Coordinate with other ministries on approvals, statutory and legal compliances in adherence to country law. Coordinate and liaise with various government and local area authorities for statutory and legal compliances as per local law.
- Coordinate with Nigerian Passport and Immigration authority for the extension of international staff visa.
- Follow up timely and appropriate resolution of legal cases in which GAIN may be involved, to the best interests of GAIN.
- Ensure that administrative, budgetary, procedural and accounting controls evolved are actually complied with and to improve them with time in accordance with HQ’s guidelines.
Human Resource (HR) Management:
The Finance and Administration Manager is the point person for HR in the country office, supporting the Head Quarter (HQ) HR function in all matters relating to recruitment, appointments, contract renewals, implementation of performance management system and select HR interventions. Illustrative tasks are as follows:
- Ensure the availability and accessibility of updated HR Manual to all staff in the state/program office. S/he is responsible to clarify any point contained in the manual as and when required by any member of staff, where necessary taking the help of GAIN HQ.
- Complete staff hiring process of the country office which includes screening of CV’, shortlisting candidates, drafting interview questions, organizing interview session, summarize scoring sheet of the candidates and assist Country Director to select the best candidate.
- Coordinate the hiring of staff as per HR policies. Where staff is to be hired by HQ, ensure follow up and timely filling of the vacancy.
- Monitor staff Contract Expiry date and ensure timely completion of Contract renewal and other formalities
- Arrange for on-the-job or outside training where appropriate. Ensure that staff is fully equipped with the skills required for performing jobs assigned to them. Develop training plan on an annual basis and factor inputs from annual appraisals to ensure that opportunities are made available to them.
- Review job descriptions for all program support staff in line with the current requirements of the organization. Ensure a work plan with measurable indicators for measuring performance mutually agreed upon between supervisors and supervise based on their JDs.
- Ensure compliance of GED (Gender Equity and Diversity) and Anti-Harassment Policies of the mission.
Information Technology (IT) Services:
The Finance and Administration Manager is responsible for the IT activities/function in the office to ensure that the IT infrastructure is maintained to meet high service level requirements and to integrate/coordinate closely with the centralized IT function in Geneva. The illustrative tasks are listed as under:
- Ensure stable and responsive Networking (Local and Wide Area) environment with the adherence to security standards for Network and user authorities.
- Be familiar with the basics of computer / LAN/VSAT operations the standard software.
- Monitor proper and authorized use of the office computers / LAN / VSAT are used smoothly
- Promote productive use of computers amongst the staff and suggest training needs to increase computer skills amongst the staff.
- Ensure system integrity, security of the system and easy accessibility of the required information and ensure cost effective maintenance of all IT equipment.
- Ensure IT Policies and system adherence
- Facilitate Knowledge Management.
Support resource mobilization, diversifying revenue growth, program quality and impact agenda:
- Lead in the development of costings and budgets for new project development with support from the global finance team
- Support the program team to leverage resources, new business development and diversify revenue growth.
- Support the program team to develop best practices on budgets and grants management that can attract potential donors.
- Visit the field and partners, try to analyze the reports and financial statements and provide technical support to partners and program team on effective use of resources.
Key Organizational Relationships
- GAIN Nigeria Staff (Country Director, Project Managers etc)
- Government functionaries
- GAIN Headquarters
- Executing Agencies
- Legal retainers/Auditor/Tax consultant
- Vendors /Landlord/Consultant.
Competencies (Skills and Attributes):
- Ability to plan and organize a substantial workload that includes complex diverse tasks and responsibilities.
- Problem-solving, decision making and delegation skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills (English)
- Leadership skills, including the ability to supervise and motivate staff effectively.
- Ability to coach, mentor and provide guidance to supervised staff.
- Team Building skills.
- Knowledge and skill on introducing and implementing GED (Gender Equity and Diversity) principles.
- High-level integrity.
- Sound judgment.
- Ability to cooperate with others and work in a participatory manner to achieve established goals.
- Solid experience in a managerial position, including supervision of other staff.
- Experience working with an International NGO preferred.
- Professional accounting qualification.
- Post Graduate preferably with Management degree with a specialization in business, HR, IT.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/549153 to apply for this job .