The American University of Nigeria (AUN) is Africa’s foremost development university with a mission to foster the creation of leaders committed to sustaining a democracy in which diverse people share in the rights and responsibilities of citizenship, proficient in creating and applying technology to wise purpose, and dedicated to securing a humane and prosperous world. The university offers a unique resource for Nigeria, West Africa, and the entire continent in addressing crucial economic and social development needs.
Summary of Position
- The Director of Development is responsible for the initiation, implementation and oversight of the Development Office to fundraise and establish an endowment that is powered by networks of friends, foundations, corporate and business interests, partnerships, and AUN alumni.
- The candidate for the position is therefore expected to create strategies and plans for generating individual and corporate gift income, endowments, foundational grants, partnerships, sponsorships and a broad range of other goodwill to support the operations of the American University of Nigeria.
- At least a Master’s degree in any of the social science disciplines. A foundation degree in Business Management or Mass Communication will be a plus.
- Above ten years of progressive management, leadership and fundraising experience.
- Professional experience in a nonprofit organization; demonstrated success in a development function (managing and forging relationships with multiple donor sources).
- Must possess initiative and have broadly relevant technical knowledge with good management expertise.
- Strong leadership and organizational skills as well as the capacity to play multitasking roles at all times.
- Experience in development work in Nigeria and evidence of success will be required. International background or experience will be an advantage but not a priority.
- Candidate for this position should be an Abuja resident. Where a non-Abuja resident applies and emerges a finalist for the position, he must be prepared to relocate to Abuja as soon as he is hired without any commitment on AUN.
- The candidate should be prepared to meet at least the lowest development target set out at the beginning of his/her contract season.
- He/she must be positioned to generate at least twice his/her annual compensation to guarantee renewal of contract.
- He/she should be prepared to provide leadership to the AUN Alumni Liaison in revamping Alumni Relations at AUN and strategically position it to achieve its statutory goals and targets.
Other Requirements, Abilities for the Position:
- Demonstrated successful and progressively responsible fundraising management experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; ability to influence and engage a wide range of donors and build long-term relationships.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with leadership, teams, groups, etc.
- An idea of what a Development Department does in a typical University Relations setting.
- Must have had prior experience in Business Development/Development/ Endowments.
- Experience in Admissions/Endowments/Special Projects and other areas of sourcing for funds for an institution will be a plus.
- Prior Project Management experience working for an internationally sanctioned project will be an advantage.
- Experience working in a privately owned University in Nigeria will be an advantage.
- Must have relevant contacts in both the public and private sectors.
- Applicants for this position should submit a Strategic Development Plan and dated Implementation Calendar justifying how, when, where and why the plan will work to achieve AUN’s development goals within a defined timeframe.
Description of Benefits
- Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and job classification as approved by the University.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- AUN is an equal opportunity employer and strives to provide a culturally diverse workforce; we do not discriminate in employment on the basis of race creed, color, nationality, origin, age, sex, religion and marital status.
- This position is a local position and opened to Alumni of the American University of Nigeria, indigenous and/or legal residents of Nigeria
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/548312 to apply for this job .