World Health Organization (WHO) is the directing and coordinating authority for health within the United Nations system. It is responsible for providing leadership on global health matters, shaping the health research agenda, setting norms and standards, articulating evidence-based policy options, providing technical support to countries and monitoring and assessing health trends.
Objectives of the Programme
- To establish AFP surveillance for monitoring wild poliovirus transmission.
- To interrupt wild poliovirus transmission and achieve polio eradication in Nigeria.
- To strengthen routine immunization and reduce morbidity and mortality from vaccine-preventable diseases.
- To achieve accelerated disease control through supplemental activities eg measles SIAs.
- To strengthen integrated disease surveillance and response (IDSR).
Description of Duties
- The incumbent is responsible for planning, directing, executing, coordinating and reviewing all budget and finance related activities in Nigeria with particular focus on EPI and will be expected to perform the following duties:
- Coordinate WHO/Nigeria Budget and Finance Unit and provide leadership in capacity building across the sub offices, mainly empowering Administrative Assistant (AA) and Finance staff in accounting and compliance to WHO rules and regulations.
- Monitor the financial and budget implementation of WCO/Nigeria work plans and provide on regular basis an informed report for programme management.
- Facilitate and ensure the effective Management of the Work Plans, Awards and Human Resource Plans
- Ensure effectiveness of WCO/Nigeria compliance to WHO Financial rules, regulations and DDM (Direct Disbursement Mechanism) implementation for SIA activities.
- Organize the WHO Sub-Offices (37 State Offices) performance assessment and review/prepare update on the opened issues.
- Oversee the monthly / annual Country Office Imprest accounts closure transactions and reporting
- Address any financial concerns from Regional office, Headquarters as well as the audit Queries/Observations/Recommendations.
- Carry out any other duties to be assigned by the Supervisor
- Essential: First University degree in Public Finance or Business Administration with post-graduate training in relevant subjects such as accounting and finance.
- Desirable: Master of Business and Administration (MBA).
- Essential: At least 5 years' experience in supervisory positions in public finance or in an international organization.
- Experience in preparation of analytical financial and budget reports.
- At least 3 years' experience in the areas of planning, monitoring of Administrative activities.
- Experience in International NGOs/UN Agencies.
- Good knowledge of Accounting and related disciplines
Desirable: Experience in the United Nations System.
- Thorough knowledge of budgeting and accounting practices and procedures.
- Good interpersonal skills and proven managerial and supervisory skills.
- Good knowledge of computerized accounting systems and in Enterprise resource planning (ERP).
- Ability to acquire sound knowledge of WHO rules, regulations and procedures.
- Must be computer literate and familiar with MS Windows applications.
- Ability to establish and maintain good relations with people at various levels and of different nationalities.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
- Producing results
- Ensuring the effective use of resources
Use of Language Skills:
- Essential: Expert knowledge of English.
- WHO salaries for staff in the Professional category are calculated in US dollars.
- The remuneration for the above position comprises an annual base salary starting at USD 59,151 (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable), a variable post adjustment, which reflects the cost of living in a particular duty station, and currently amounts to USD 1306 per month for the duty station indicated above.
- Other benefits include 30 days of annual leave, allowances for dependent family members, home leave, and an education grant for dependent children.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/546444 to apply for this job .