The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 US cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Environmental Health Manager (MHM) is responsible for overseeing the implementation of all MHM related issues in Borno State.
S/he will provide technical and managerial leadership to the hygiene promotion team in Gwoza, Monguno, Konduga, MMC, Jere and other newly accessible LGAs in Borno state while ensuring all activities are of high quality and appropriately address the identified MHM needs.
- Program Management & Development:
- In coordination with the EH Coordinator and EH team (Borno) establish contacts with relevant international/local NGOs and line ministries within in Borno state.
- Ensure that all IRC EH projects in target LGAs are implemented in a timely and professional manner, according to the set objectives, goals and indicators as per the SPHERE, IRC, Nigerian Law and in line with donor requirements and beneficiary needs.
- Liaise with other IRC sectors implementing MHM components including but not limited to the health, WPE and PRoL sectors and ensure that all IRC MHM activities are implemented with the same quality and uniform standards.
- Carry out initial MHM assessment and develop IRC’s MHM strategy for the specific IRC project locations in Borno state.
- Oversee the technical aspects of the implementation and coordination of the MHM program, providing support to the program officers and field teams in development of detailed work plans, spending plans and monitoring framework to guide implementation.
- Develop and implement program management tools to monitor budget expenditure against spending plans, and pilot timelines against work plans.
- Support the program officers in the technical design, implementation and monitoring of the work plans ensuring that activities reflect the commitments IRC made to the donor and the community.
- Develop internal and external reports within agreed deadlines using IRC and donor formats, as required.
- Develop and/or improve monitoring and evaluation mechanisms for MHM activities, in collaboration with IRCs M&E sector.
- Ensure that the IRC teams in the field actively monitor set indicators and effectively address concerns of the target communities.
- Human Resources Management:
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Establish regular and direct communication lines with the WASH officer, and (in collaboration with the GBV Coordinator) assign tasks and establish performance monitoring arrangements.
- Work with the EH Coordinator to ensure technical aspects of the Performance Management System documentation for the Hygiene officers (and any additional team members assigned) is in place and followed up regularly.
- Provide ongoing training and technical support and guidance to Hygiene Officers as needed, and ensure all staff adhere to best-practice principles in all aspects of program implementation.
- Overall responsibility for EH work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities in your targeted LGAs
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
- Grant Monitoring & Partner Management:
- With support from the Borno Snr. EH Manager, ensure appropriate and timely spending of grants to achieve program goals, grant reporting contributions, use and distribution of supplies and resources.
- Manage and advise contractors implementing programs on behalf of and in partnership with the IRC in all your supported sites.
- Select and implement, in line with the Borno EH Strategy, an appropriate monitoring and evaluations systems; analyzing results to ensure and enhance program effectiveness and quality. Ensure that all monitoring activities and results are shared with your line manager and if requested by your line manager to the M&E Coordinator.
- Actively contribute to project design through rapid assessments, proposal writing and strategy development
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to IRC management and liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Logistics, Finance, and Reporting:
- Ensure water sanitation and hygiene promotional activities are facilitated in accordance with IRC logistics policy and in a timely manner to ensure the successful implementation of programs.
- Ensure all relevant financial documentation is completed accurately as required by IRC finance policy.
- Develop informative monthly reports for circulation amongst IRC sectors as well as with other partners working in Borno state.
- BSc/MSc in Environmental Sciences, Social Work, Nursing, Public Health, Engineering and relevant experience will supersede the formal qualification
- Up to 3 or more years' experience in hygiene promotion programs with INGOs and experience preferably in a conflict or post disaster setting
- Demonstrated experience in delivering consultative, responsive programming. Previous demonstrated experience in effectively promoting and mainstreaming gender within projects is a plus.
- Strong experience in working with and coordinating with local and state level government line ministries, INGOs and other stakeholders.
- Demonstrated experience in project design and development, including needs assessment and proposal development.
- Demonstrated experience in capacity building of EH/WASH staff.
- Demonstrated experience in project management, including budget management.
- Understanding of protection principles and the likely protection concerns arising in emergency context including conflict analysis.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word, Excel; power point;
- Interpersonal qualities: Works well in and promotes teamwork, comfortable in a multi-cultural; environment, flexible and able to handle pressure in a professional manner,
- Fluent in spoken and written English, Hausa or any local language skills are a plus.
The position will be based in Maiduguri with frequent visits to site/operation areas.
Standards for Professional Conduct:
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
The position will work in the Maiduguri Field Office. The program site in Northern Nigeria. This is security level 3 - orange
Monthly salary, 13Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545850 to apply for this job .