The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to people affected by war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 US cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The EH Officer-Hygiene Promotion will be responsible for day to day management of EH Hygiene Promotion activities and staff involved in direct implementation of IRC’s EH Emergency Response Project Strategy.
S/he is overall responsible for ensuring that approved technical approaches to hygiene promotion are adhered to, maintaining program quality and that all hygiene objectives are met on time, documented and carried out within the budget.
When requested, s/he will undertake capacity building of team members.
- Ensure water and sanitation activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner while considering beneficiary needs as per the SPHERE standards.
- Ensure that all hygiene promotion activities are in line with project strategy and design
- Maintain close links and collaboration with other sectors and in particular Health, Nutrition, Protection, Gender, CYPD (Child and Youth Protection and Development), Women Protection and Empowerment (WPE) and Economic Recovery and Development (ERD).
- Ensure that the hygiene promotion activities are implemented in a timely and professional manner (as per SPHERE and IRC standards) and in line with beneficiary needs.
- Technical Quality:
- Together with community leaders and members identify and train Community Hygiene Promoters in the delivery of hygiene awareness-raising sessions.
- Conduct rapid and detailed assessments aimed at establishing knowledge, awareness and practices of the target community with regard to hygiene.
- Assist the EH Manager (Hygiene Promotion) in the design and implementation of the Hygiene Promotion M&E Plan.
- Directly manage the day to day hygiene promotion activities in the field
- Ensure that hygiene promotion activities meet stated objectives within the timeframe;
- Ensure program activities foster accountability to beneficiaries, gender and protection sensitivity and inclusion are adequately addressed in programming;
- Propose technical designs and methodologies for all hygiene promotion hygiene activities
- Provide technical support and training for hygiene promoters and community volunteers.
- Provide regular reports, document results and maintain detailed records
- Staff Supervision & Development:
- The post holder will directly manage the EH Hygiene Promoters and community mobilizers/volunteers
- Support the EH Manager with assessing staffing requirements against the size and scale of the emergency.
- Participate in recruitment of staff in the approved EH organogram
- Maintain open and professional relations with team members, promoting a strong team spirit and providing oversight and guidance to enable staff to successfully perform in their positions.
- Take responsibility for discussing job expectations, performance, and objectives on an informal, quarterly basis with designated staff.
- Ensure timely completion and submission of monthly timesheets, probations reviews and annual performance reviews.
- Plan/coordinate and oversee team work plans, work and vacation schedules, and team training/development activities
- Identify team performance issues and work with the EH Manager to address these in an appropriate manner.
- Responsible for EH Assistant-Hygiene promotion and community hygiene promoters timesheets, work plans, vacation schedules, and staff training/development activities.
- Ensure that the EH Assistant-Hygiene promotion collects community hygiene promoters’ timesheets, vacations and progress with work plans
- Adhere to and act in accordance with the IRC Global HR Policies and Procedures
- Grant Planning & Implementation:
- Prepare and maintain/update detailed work plan(s) that support the achievement of the overall grant timeline and completion date
- Provide direction and monitor staff in their implementation of the work plan and quality of activities, share relevant information and direction to improve quality and achieve timelines
- Assist the EH Manager in the design of all assessments, monitoring and hygiene promotion tools.
- Carry out FGDs to inform the designs, locations and constructions of water supply infrastructures including but not be limited to drilling of shallow and deep boreholes, installation of hand pumps, installation of solar submersible pumps, construction of elevated water storage tanks, trenching and piping for water supply reticulation systems, construction of well aprons and communal tap stands with appropriate drainage.
- Conduct monthly need assessments, distribution plans and actively participate and monitor the distribution of NFIs
- Directly implement the construction and installation of sanitation facilities including but not limited to Communal latrines, house hold latrines, Solid waste pits/bins, Hand washing stations, Drainage, Menstrual Hygiene Management facilities and bathing shelters.
- Identify and train WASH committee and Community hygiene volunteer members.
- Provide weekly reports of progress on the hygiene promotion activities to EH Manager.
- Monitor ORS points and ensure M&E document and share the information with EH Manager.
- Plan continued hygiene promotion sessions in CWCs, ORS points, Child friendly spaces and other facilities in the camp and host communities.
- Maintain comprehensive control systems on NFIs, materials and tools used including notes on quality of materials.
- Coordinate closely with the EH Assistant (Water and Sanitation) EH Assistant (Hygiene Promotion) on water quantity, location of water sources/communal taps while considering beneficiary needs.
- Implement Training of Trainer (ToT) sessions on Health and Hygiene promotion to Community Hygiene Promoters in target communities.
- Submit periodic and ad hoc reports on progress and monitoring activities as requested by the EH Manager
- Participate in the formation/training of community WASH committees.
- Grant Monitoring & Reporting:
- Undertake regular field monitoring visits to assess progress and identify technical quality issues and/or other implementation issues, provide solutions and implement modifications as required.
- Ensure all monitoring activities are fully documented, including systematic and timely data collection as required under the grant and for IRC M&E purposes
- Produce/contribute to IRC and donor reports as per set schedules (weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually) on grant activities, indicators and achievements.
- Coordination & Representation:
- Work closely and coordinator with IRC logistics, finance and grant staff to ensure timely and complaint program activities and expenditures; including active participation in grant opening/closing and review meetings
- Undertake/participate in liaison, coordination, and information sharing activities with national NGOs, international organizations, donors and government at field level.
- Program Development:
- Assist in the collection of data, assessments and proposal development for the sector.
- Logistics, Finance, and Reporting:
- Ensure water sanitation and hygiene promotional activities are facilitated in accordance with IRC logistics policy and in a timely manner to ensure the successful implementation of programs.
- Ensure all relevant financial documentation is completed accurately as required by IRC finance policy.
- Prepare and submit required reports in a timely manner and incorporate manager feedback
- Other duties:
- Consistently and proactively monitor/assess the safety and security of the team; promptly reporting concerns or incidents to the EH Coordinator, and when liaising with community leaders and other external parties as required to maintain/enhance the security environment for IRC programs
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor to enable and develop IRC programs
- Diploma/Certificate in Environmental Sciences, Social Work, Nursing, Public Health etc;- relevant experience will supersede the formal qualification
- Up to 3 years’ experience in hygiene promotion programs with INGOs;
- Excellent understanding of EH issues in emergency situations and knowledge of emergency standards (Sphere)
- Strong management and communication skills;
- Ability to live and work in stressful and insecure environment;
- Able to manage multiple tasks.
- Knowledge and/or experience in conflict management, protection, or other related field;
- Able to work under pressure and good at timely decision making.
- Knowledge of English
- Fluency in the local languages-Hausa and Kanuri
- Excellent professional approach and strong team building skills.
- Competent user of MS Applications: Word, Excel.
The position will work in the Maiduguri Field Office. The program site in Northern Nigeria. This is security level 3 - orange
Monthly salary, 13 Month Salary Inclusive, Health Insurance Coverage for Family, Pension, Creche Facilities available for Women with babies under 24 Months.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545845 to apply for this job .