The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA) is a not-for-profit institution that generates agricultural innovations to meet Africa’s most pressing challenges of hunger, malnutrition, poverty, and natural resource degradation. Working with various partners across sub-Saharan Africa, we improve livelihoods, enhance food and nutrition security, increase employment, and preserve natural resource integrity. IITA is a member of CGIAR, a global agriculture research partnership for a food-secure future.
The successful candidate will among other things perform the following duties:
- Manage overall functions and staff of powerhouse, electrical/gas, and Water treatment sections;
- Oversee functioning of main generators and switchgear on campus and ensure they are maintained at peak performance in order to provide backup power within 30 seconds of the main power failure at all times;
- Monitor operation of high voltage switchgear and changeover switches and repair or replace as needed;
- Place an order for spare parts or service needed for the generators, switchgear, transformers etc.;
- Monitor the incoming high voltage power and overhead power lines in campus and call the electric company to repair or replace damaged power lines or insulators, oversee & verify electricity meter readings every month;
- Maintain very good contacts with all officials of the electricity company, especially the emergency call out team;
- Supervise the upkeep of all electric appliances, equipment, fixtures in labs, offices and field houses (plastic houses, greenhouses), residences and street lights
- Manage the main water supply system including pumps at the main dam and oversee the treatment and purification at the treatment plant;
- Oversee working of fire alarm systems in all main buildings
- Maintenance of swimming pool and sewage treatment plants;
- Prepare a periodic report of work done by the sections;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
- MSc in Electrical Engineering or its equivalent with a minimum experience of thirteen (13) years performing similar functions in a structured organization.
- Must be familiar with the parts and procedures of different types of heavy generators, alternators, etc.
- Applicant must have excellent managerial and supervisory skills to handle the entire units.
- Must have good time management and communication skills.
- We offer highly competitive salary with equally attractive benefits and excellent working conditions in a pleasant campus environment.
- Interested applicants should complete the online application attaching detailed cover letter and curriculum vitae saved with their names in Microsoft word format. The application must include the names and e-mail addresses of three professional referees which must include the applicant’s current or previous direct Supervisor, professional colleague and evidence of current remuneration package.
- IITA is an equal opportunity employer and particularly welcomes applications from female candidates.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545831 to apply for this job .