Amnesty International Nigeria mission is to build an inclusive and constructive constituency in Nigeria for Nigeria on Nigeria that has a significant impact on the key human rights issues of contemporary Nigeria; and to build a culture of respect for human rights in Nigeria.
- To assist in the development and implementation of research and campaigning strategies in the Nigeria team, including by monitoring developments; managing information and communications systems; drafting and assisting in the productions of documents; participating in the coordination of the work of the team and providing other support including in relation to fieldwork and response to crisis.
- Monitor and maintain a broad overview of relevant political and human rights developments
- Assist with research and investigations on the human rights situation in Nigeria or thematic areas.
- Participate in the planning, organization, and coordination of field research and other relevant AI missions
- and travel and campaign activities; including interviewing, taking notes, writing reports and briefings,
- preparing budgets, providing logistical support and solving problems
- Assist the Nigeria teams’ research, campaigning, communication and growth activities by gathering and
- managing human rights-related information, by liaising with national and local contacts, media monitoring, internet searches and manual and electronic filing in relevant databases.
- Assist with campaigning, communication, research, human rights education and growth activities through the production and distribution of public and internal campaigning materials, reports and other
- documents, as delegated or originated by campaigns, communications, research or growth teams, including drafting, formatting, editing/proof-reading, distribution of texts and, where appropriate,
- coordinating the translation of documents
- Assist in planning, management and administrative meetings, seminars and workshops;
- Assist with processing incoming inquiries, petitions and follow-up with correspondence.
- Manage files, records and other information retrieval systems where necessary within the organization’s self-servicing guidelines
- Contribute to the development of programme-wide strategies and plans for research, campaigning, youth activism and growth and provide input into internal discussions on the AI mission, policy and
- organizational issues in order to increase the effectiveness of AI’s work
- Contribute to the team’s response during a crisis or unexpected work
- Interview, assist with the selection of, induct, and supervise volunteers working in the team
- Participate in coordinating the work of the team and contribute to the overall flexibility of resource use, including through providing cover for other Programme staff as agreed with management
Skills, Attributes, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, international relations, law or related disciplines
- At least 3 years’ work experience;
- Demonstrated commitment to human rights, e.g. through previous work, membership of an organization,involvement in advocacy of human rights, etc
- Experience of writing research materials for a variety of audiences, together with an understanding of the importance of tailoring materials for various target audiences including through digital channels
- Good interpersonal skills, a helpful and personable attitude;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English; other relevant local languages or additional foreign languages desirable;
- Ability to work under pressure, manage conflicting demands, multi task and work to deadlines to achieve results;
- Ability to deal in a sensitive and understanding manner with a variety of people, including survivors of human rights violations and others who may be distressed.
- Able to work in a manner that is consistent with the organisation’s core behaviours and competencies.
- Possess a high level of resilience, initiative and drive, is creative and able to be flexible and change orientation as required;
- Good working knowledge of standard Office software e.g. Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to draft and proof-read research, communication and campaign materials tailored to the appropriate audience
- Ability to gather and process human rights-related information/material
- Experience of establishing and maintaining office systems and coordinating an efficient flow of communications and information
- Experience of information management, including the creation and maintenance of electronic databases
- Ability to use sound judgment and initiative, solve problems and provide constructive inputs
- Experience of working in a team and understanding of the importance of effective communications for the coordination and effective functioning of teams, including the ability to supervise volunteers
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545741 to apply for this job .