The United Nations World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to end global hunger. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- To deliver standard business support processes for a specific professional area of work, to facilitate effective service delivery.
Key Accountabilities (not all-inclusive)
- Within delegated authority, the ETS IM Assistant will be responsible for the following duties:
- Report to the Emergency Telecommunication Sector Co-management team and respond to the Sector Membership’s needs for information;
- Provide IM services for key decision-making including; data collection, collation, analysis and information dissemination.
- Maintain and continuously update (on a fortnightly or monthly basis) the existing IM products to ensure all are up to date. In particularly:
- The contact directory and mailing list;
- The Who does What Where (3W) database and derivative products, such as charts and maps;
- If / when it becomes relevant, the Who does What Where and When (4W) database tracking post-emergency response and the consequent mapping of ETS resources, needs and gaps as requested. This may include needs and gap identification for the sector; facilitating and agreeing on boundaries/benchmarks to enable prioritization within the sector)
- Maintain and update the ETC website; ensure sector leads, Government partners and international and national NGOs feed relevant information on a regular basis;
- Coordinate ETS meetings at both CO and field level as appropriate. Ensure invitations are circulated in a timely manner, agendas and attendance sheets and other relevant documents and PowerPoints are prepared and that meetings are sufficiently minuted. Ensure minutes and other relevant documents are circulated in a timely fashion. Ensure action points are dealt with by the relevant party(ies);
- Proactively gather information from other Sectors/organizations which may be of use to the ET Sector for informing decisions and deployment of services.
- Provide overall secretariat support to the ETS as required including the management of the ETS work plan;
- Facilitate and coordinate training, ETS assessments and other activities as part of the overall Emergency preparedness and response measures;
- As appropriate, assist in the design of ET data collection forms, ensuring that the purpose and use of all data collected is clear, questions are simple, clear, collectable and easily analysed highlighting where potential problems might arise; organize and manage the data input and initial analysis and presentation of data for the Emergency Telecommunication Sector;
- Data on the humanitarian requirements and contributions (financial, material,– as appropriate);
- Liaise with OCHA and IM Focal Points in other sectors – share information as appropriate and identify and gather information from other clusters which can inform ET response and preparedness decisions
- Any other tasks that may be required (within reason) to achieve the objective of this assignment.
4Ps Core Organizational Capabilities
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to a supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people's skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in the same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with a supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies the supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to a supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Critical Success Factors & Expected Results
- Produces organized, accurate and well-documented records conforming to required format with well-analyzed data.
Critical Success Factors:
- Ability to review a variety of data, identify and adjust data discrepancies.
- Identify and resolve operational problems.
- Ability to communicate moderately complex matters clearly and concisely.
- Ability to perform detailed work, work of a confidential nature and/or to handle a large volume of work possibly under time constraints.
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds
Standard Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of secondary school education.
- Four or more years of progressively responsible work experience in the relative business stream with experience in general administrative work.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Proficient in the use of office equipment and computer software packages, such as Microsoft Word.
- Knowledge of work routines and methods in order to complete processes under minimal supervision.
- Uses tact and courtesy to give and receive information to a wide range of individuals.
- Ability to identify data discrepancies and rectify problems requiring attention.
- Ability to offer guidance or basic on-the-job training to more junior staff.
- General Service (Headquarters): Fluency (level C) in English language. Fluency (level C) or intermediate knowledge (level B) of another official language may be required depending on the location of the post or area of responsibility.
General Service (Field):
- Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
Terms and Conditions
- Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Only Nigerian national (or residents with valid residence and work permits) are eligible to apply.
- Applications must be submitted online and in English only.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Canvassing of any sort will lead to automatic disqualification of the concerned applicant.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545704 to apply for this job .