Save the Children is the world's leading independent organization for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfill their potential. We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
- Under the guidance of the Washington DC-based Breakthrough-Action (B-A) Project lead, the Community Health Advisor will provide overall technical leadership and guidance for the implementation of B-A program’s community health and SBCC programming in Nigeria.
- S/he is responsible for strategic planning, coordination and monitoring & evaluation of programme activities in relation to social and behavior change (SBCC) for maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health (MNCAH) and for supporting the state programme teams in strategic and operational planning and programme implementation. S/he supervises and works closely with related sector specialists.
Key Areas Of Accountability
The Community Health Advisor will:
- Provide senior-level management and technical oversight of the project’s community mobilization/capacity building and SBCC activities.
- Using evidence-based theories and methodologies, collaborate with project technical advisors to design/develop communication tools and a comprehensive strategy for community mobilization/community capacity strengthening and SBCC
- Ensure that SBCC materials are pre-tested, proved effective and used efficiently and by the correct target group.
- Contribute to the adaptation of an integrated community-level engagement and SBCC model
- Collaborate with other technical advisors and external stakeholders to ensure coordination of materials and communication message strategies and avoid gaps and overlaps.
- Build capacity of state-level stakeholders to roll out integrated community mobilization and SBCC processes
- Coach and supervise state-level community mobilization staff/team
- Manage the work of any research firms, advertising agencies, public relations experts, production vendors, community mobilizers, and/or consultants hired by the project to assist with SBCC or community level work. This includes building the capacity of local implementing partners to implement quality and successful community mobilization/SBCC work.
- In collaboration with the M&E Advisor, help develop, maintain, and monitor the indicators set in the work plan for SBCC and community-level activities as well as evaluate the progress and impact of SBCC activities.
- Contribute to regular quarterly and annual reports to the donor.
- Document project results and impacts in various forms, including media stories, lessons learned, case studies, client satisfaction, etc.
- A master’s degree in Communications, Public Health, Social Sciences or other related fields.
- At least five years of experience in health communication, public health promotion, health or behavioral science, or related field and demonstrated experience in management of community-based teams.
- Demonstrated abilities and experience in community mobilization and SBCC strategy and materials development, especially in MNCH.
- Proven experience in training staff and community members and strong knowledge of community capacity building for team members, government and community counterparts
- Familiarity and understanding of USAID policies and procedures (highly preferred), or those of other donors, donor-funded projects, community-based projects, or corporate social responsibility projects.
- Proven abilities to set priorities, to multi-task, and to work collaboratively across technical disciplines.
- Possess outstanding professional reputation and have strong demonstrated interpersonal, written, and oral presentation skills.
- Willingness to travel within the country as needed.
- Good understanding of the health system and policy processes; health sector programs and significant players in the MNCH field in Nigeria.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to motivate staff.
- Proven ability to manage a complex and demanding workload
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Good computer skills (particularly Word, Excel and database)
- We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545701 to apply for this job .