Tropical Health LLP is an international consultancy company specializing in the monitoring and evaluation (M&E) of health and disease control programmes in Africa and Asia. We contribute in a unique way to the cost effectiveness and sustainability of development aid in the health sector by improving the availability, quality and use of evidence for strategic and operational planning and programme implementation. We offer a variety of services in the M&E field including independent evaluations and reviews, health research studies, comprehensive programme M&E design and solutions, health surveillance and information systems. We firmly believe in the principles of developing local capacity and transferring skills and knowledge.
Contract type: Fixed Term, 2 years with possible extension
Tropical Health is seeking an exceptional Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist to lead and build the capacity of the National Malaria Elimination Programme (NMEP) as part of a large donor malaria programme in Nigeria.
The position will be seconded to the NMEP’s Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) branch with the aim of building the branch’s capacity in technical leadership of all NMEP M&E and data and evidence generation activities.
The position will be based in Abuja with extensive travel to support selected State Malaria Elimination Programme (SMEP) M&E teams.
- As a senior member of the donor funded programme management team in Nigeria, the Malaria Public Health and Data Specialist is responsible for:
- In partnership with the NMEP, develop and operationalise a NMEP M&E Capacity Building Strategy.
- Lead the technical capacity building of the NMEP’s M&E branch to implement the NMEP M&E plan, including, but not limited to:
- Define clear roles and responsibilities of NMEP/SMEP M&E personnel
- Define clear flow and processes for malaria data collection through a mix of different malaria information systems
- Strengthen data collation and quality assurance for routine (surveillance) and survey or evaluation data
- Analyse and interpret data and build capacity of the NMEP team in the same
- Strengthen the utility and quality of data presentation, using attractive visual formats where relevant, in key N/SMEP reports and information sharing efforts
- Promote and support use of data and evidence by all NMEP and SMEP personnel for planning, budgeting and decision making
- Liaise with and leverage on other donor malaria M&E strengthening interventions to maximize and ensure complementary of efforts
- Provide the senior management team feedback on progress of capacity building efforts.
- Work closely with the programme’s Monitoring, Evaluation and Research Specialist to ensure activities are aligned.
- Represent the programme in technical fora, such as the NMEP M&E Sub-committee of the Malaria Technical Working Group.
- Master's degree in public health, epidemiology, surveillance, research methods or other relevant qualification.
- At least 10 year’s proven experience in a relevant context.
- Demonstrated experience of leading malaria M&E activities, with a record of achieving programme objectives.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of health systems’ dynamics and challenges in relation to Nigeria’s response to malaria.
- Deep understanding and knowledge of malaria M&E systems in Nigeria and/or comparable country contexts.
- Strong experience building capacity, supervising and mentoring staff and partners, including facilitating training.
- In-depth understanding of the health, political, social and cultural context of Nigeria.
- Experience working effectively with Government and donors.
- Excellent computer skills, including in Excel and in at least one statistical software package, preferably Stata, alternatively SPSS or R; knowledge of other data software an advantage, such as mapping software
- Excellent level of spoken and written English
Negotiable and commensurate with skills, qualifications and experience
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545656 to apply for this job .