DDG is part of the Danish Refugee Council (DRC), which is a humanitarian, non-governmental, non-profit organization founded in 1956 that works in more than 35 countries throughout the world. We are the largest humanitarian NGO in Denmark and consistently ranked as one of the world’s best NGOs according to Global_Geneva.
- The DDG Head of Programme will report to the DRC Country Director and have the overall responsibility of the DDG portfolio in Nigeria.
- In coordination with the other SMT members and under the lead of the DRC Nigeria Country Director, DDG Head of Programme will play a key role in leading DDG’s strategic engagement in Nigeria, shaping and advising on DDG programming, and ensuring programme coherence, alignment with DDG’s global mandate and objectives, and quality delivery.
- The DDG Head of Programme will also lead the overall programme management of a two-year EU-funded stability and resilience programme to be implemented in Adamawa and Borno states.
- The DDG Head of Programme will be responsible for donor liaison and for liaison/representation with government authorities in the areas of implementation, as well as national level, under the guidance of the Country Director and in coordination with the DRC Nigeria SMT.
- The DDG HoP reports to the DRC Country Director (CD) for Nigeria (based in Abuja).
- The DDG HoP works in close collaboration with DDG’s Global Specialist Leads on Mine Action and Armed Violence Reduction, Regional Office Technical Advisers, Heads of Base, the DRC Head of Programme, technical managers/advisors and the DRC/DDG support staff, and is a member of the Nigeria Senior Management Team (SMT).
- The DDG HoP directly supervises the AVR, Mine Action Manager, NTS/CL Manager and/or other positions within the DDG programme in Nigeria.
- Strategic Programme development and management
- Overall programme management responsibility for integrated DRC/DDG EU programme (livelihoods, community safety, youth engagement, mine/ERW risk education) ensuring timely and quality programme delivery
- Plan, implement and monitor DDG’s activities in Nigeria.
- Co-ordinate and work with relevant state-level government authorities, local government institutions, non-governmental organizations, community-based organizations and local communities in order to ensure the smooth execution of programme activities.
- Lead DDG programme implementation and development
- Promote the integration of DRC and DDG programming in Nigeria.
- Oversee the roll-out of DDG activities throughout DRC offices in northeastern Nigeria.
- Monitor and advise field staff in programme delivery.
- Maintain working relationships with DDG’s other programmes in the wider West Africa/Sahel region to exchange experience and ideas.
- Manage and monitor the DDG budgets closely and report to the Country Director, Head of Finance and Administration (HoFA) and DDG Headquarters of any discrepancies or issues as appropriate.
- Keep the CD informed at all times of programmatic updates and potential fundraising/project ideas and initiatives.
- Ensure the necessary systems are in place.
- Provide strong leadership to the programme, with oversight and management of DRC DDG expatriate staff (in particular the DDG Mine Action Manager, DDG AVR Manager), M&E Manager (as it relates to DDG work) and national staff executing DDG components of DRC programming in Nigeria
- Provide oversight to the work of the DRC Livelihood Manager, where relevant within the framework of joint programming
- Ensure the ongoing formal and informal appraisal/evaluation of staff performance, including follow up on Results Contracts and annually written appraisals of the DDG programme staff
- In close collaboration with the Safety Advisor reporting to the DRC CD for Nigeria, ensure adherence to security procedures, ensuring a minimum of 91% MOSS compliance of all field locations, monitoring developments in the security situation, developing contingency plans, etc.
- Ensure proper and timely financial and narrative donor reporting in compliance with internal and external reporting requirements including procurement
- Regular reporting to DRC CD Nigeria and other colleagues at the Ro&HQ level as required and agreed.
Fundraising and Representation:
- Under the DRC Nigeria CD lead, act as a representative for the DDG programmes in Nigeria towards government authorities, donors, partners, UN agencies and international and local NGOs and various local co-ordination forums.
- Under the DRC Nigeria CD lead and in coordination with the DRC Nigeria SMT take the lead on the process of securing funds for DDG’s activities. This includes any liaison and contact with the donor and national stakeholders.
- Under the DRC Nigeria CD leadership, liaison with relevant government authorities, donors, partners, UN agencies and international and local NGOs and various local co-ordination forums.
- Identify new programming opportunities and write concept notes and proposals
- Liaise with donor representatives in the region and in Abuja as required.
- Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, Operations Handbook, AVR Framework and handbooks, and DDG Mine Action SOPs, the DDG Head of Programme must continuously monitor and develop relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of DRC/DDG’s activities
- Ensure compliance with the guidelines, policies, procedures, and values of DRC.
- Proven experience with programme management (planning, implementation, and monitoring) from a complex and fragile environment, preferably in Sub-Saharan Africa
- Proven experience working on AVR and/or Mine Action programming and implementation.
- Experience working with donors and external relations
- Strong on liaison and networking with national stakeholders, both on a national and local level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English (writing reports and proposals).
- Proven ability to mentor and coach others. Staff management is important in this position.
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy.
- The capacity and willingness to be flexible and accommodating in difficult and insecure circumstances.
- Preferable an MA/MSc level in a relevant discipline from an internationally recognized university.
- Preferable experience working with national partners and capacity building projects.
- Prior M&E experience and the capability of working with data collection, analysis and report writing is an advantage.
- Flexibility - in getting the job done.
- Respect - in regard to your colleagues and their field of expertise and work day.
- Openness and transparency - when working with national and local partners
- A mindset of collaboration and coordination - in regard to working with related partners and institutions such as other NGOs and the UN.
- Trust building, respectful and collaborative towards beneficiaries.
All employees should master DRC's core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Ability to focus on reaching results while ensuring efficiency. Strive to produce accurate, thorough and professional work with the optimal use of time and effort.
- Collaborating: Excellent in cooperating with and involve relevant parties, actively seeking their opinion and sharing key information with them. Support and trust others while encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Ability to take ownership and prioritize job according to DRC’s overall vision and goals. Take the initiative when confronted with a challenge or an opportunity and aim for innovative solutions.
- Communicating: Excellent in writing and speaking effectively and honestly while adjusting style and tone to the situation. Listening actively to others and involve them in the dialogue.
- Demonstrating integrity: Act in line with DRC’s vision, values and collaboration standards. Encourage inclusion and diversity to ensure sustainable solutions. Actively involve, respect and empower stakeholders.
- A challenging and rewarding job in one of the best NGOs in the world. Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates;
- The salary level for this position is A9. DRC has a generous benefits package, including R&R, pension, and duty station allowances.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/545604 to apply for this job .