The United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) - For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of Assignment
- In preparation of the 2018 HACT Assurance assurance activities implementing, the HACT unit will require to engage individual contractors to conduct 250 planned spot checks and provide capacity building to 40 IPs identified with weak Financial management systems and internal controls.
- Spot checks are a review of financial records to obtain reasonable assurance that amounts reported by implementation partners on the FACE form are accurate.
- A Spot checks are performed in the office of implementing partners where financial records are kept.
- The contractors will be required to analyze spot check reports from 2018 HACT assurance activities to identify high priority observations that require follow up and management action.
- They will also conduct simplified checklist assessment among other tasks.
- The HACT unit requires to engage at least 7 individual contractors that have gained the required HACT technical knowledge to implement the assurance activities.
- The Individual Contractors will provide relevant support in ensuring full compliance with the 2018 HACT Assurance Plan for UNICEF Nigeria;
- Conduct spot check activities of identified 2018 implementing partners according to the spot check TOR & guidelines
- Discuss high risk observed issues from spot checks and other assurance activities with Chiefs of section and Chiefs of Field Offices
- Share the draft spot check report with responsible Programme Specialist/Officer for review and to provide any comments or inputs for finalization
- On a weekly basis, update the high-risk recommendations on the spot check tracker for each section/FO on SharePoint. Send the link to the responsible Chief and HACT Focal point for follow up action/closure
- Identify results of assurance activities that may be used to prioritize capacity development activities or change the cash transfer modality to the IP.
- Conduct planned Simplified Financial Management assessments for identified new partners receiving less than $100,000
- Provide capacity building on Basic Financial Management to implementing partners identified as having weak financial management capacity as per detailed CD TOR.
- Follows up implementation of financial management recommendations with IPs
- Follows up with the programme team on high priority issues observed during Micro-assessments, spot checks and audits
- Aid with the preparation of audit activities and update on the HACT plan/eTools on the conducted HACT assurance activities
- Provide support in conducting HACT trainings for IPs and UN staff as required
- Support in conducting self-audit of 2017-2018 HACT assurance activities related documents on IPs risk matrix
- Maintain a well-organized and easily accessible filing system of all HACT related documents on SharePoint monthly
- The spot check must be documented in the spot check work plan, detailing procedures performed and corresponding results according to the spot check guidelines. (Annexes for spot check work plan, spot check report template & spot check guidelines provided)
- Prepare an analysis of high risk observations from previous Micro-assessments, spot checks and audit that require follow up action during the spot check visit.
- Provide working papers and supporting documents for expenditure reviewed that requires follow up action by the programme teams especially on high-risk/high priority recommendations
- Conducting spot check will take between 1-3 days (on average 2 working days)
- Submit weekly updated spot check trackers with high-risk/high priority open items, indicate deadline for IP responses (within 3 months from the date of SC) and share the link with responsible Chief/HACT Focal point
- Update the spot check tracker on SharePoint within 3 days of submitting the final report
- All HACT documentation sequentially uploaded and filled on SharePoint for easy access within 2 working days of finalizing the report.
- After conducting the spot check, prepare the spot check report within 3 working days and submit the draft report via email to the responsible Chief/Programme Specialist/Officer for review and initiate discussions for follow up actions required.
- Submission of final spot check report to the Chief of Section/FO & HACT team within 2 working days after receiving final comments
- By the 5th of each month, submit a status report of HACT activities performed and flag areas that require follow up or management attention.
- Professional accounting qualification (eg CPA, ICAN, and ACCA) is required and a University Degree in Accountancy, Finance or Administration.
- A minimum of five years' experience in internal/external audit or financial management experience in a reputable organization.
- Experience in fraud/investigative work, as well as in IT audit.
- In-depth knowledge of internal auditing, professional standards and application of IPSAS.
- First-rate analytical skills and proven knowledge of management principles. Good knowledge of financial matters.
- Ability to establish priorities, conceive and execute work against a sound work plan.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills. Maturity of judgment, tact, integrity and discretion.
- Initiative and resourcefulness. Proven ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with other team members.
- Experience with training and facilitation of group learning processes.
- Computer skills, including internet navigation, SAP and various office applications.
- Fluency in English is required.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/543694 to apply for this job .