The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) is a regional group of fifteen West African countries. Founded on 28 May 1975, with the signing of the Treaty of Lagos, its mission is to promote economic integration across the region. Considered one of the pillars of the African Economic Community, the organization was founded in order to achieve collective self-sufficiency for its member states by creating a single large trading bloc through an economic and trading union. It also serves as a peacekeeping force in the region. The organization operates officially in three co-equal languages French, English, and Portuguese.
Description of Duties
- Under the Authority of the Commissioner for General Administration and Conference and the supervision of the Language Coordinator, the incumbent shall be responsible for, among others, the following assigned duties:
Duties and Responsibilities
- Translates a wide variety of texts documents for ECOWAS conferences and meetings, working papers, scientific articles, speeches, programme statements, web materials, reports, correspondence, etc;
- Performs the terminological and conceptual research required in order to produce high-quality translations of scientific, technical, legal, and administrative texts;
- Translates and self-revises from texts of considerable difficulty, using computer assisted translation tools were possible;
- Assists in providing support for terminology and style; respond to queries about terminology, nomenclature, translation, and writing posed by staff; conducts linguistic research and assist in the maintenance of glossaries;
- Contributes to the establishment of accurate terminology and to promote the terminology data base;
- Assists in review of external translators for the ECOWAS roster;
- Provides translation support in emergencies, including working under tight deadlines and quick turnaround of translated documents;
- Provides feedback for machine translation dictionaries;
- Participates in professional forums, conferences and seminars; shares knowledge and practices with translators of other international organizations; keeps abreast of specialized terminology and best translation practices;
- Performs other related duties, as required.
Competencies Technical Expertise and Professionalism
- A high degree of specialization in Translation in A language in particular;
- Full command of all the skills involved in preparing technical translations, including the use of terminology databases, electronic dictionaries, research tools, and post editing of raw machine-translated output;
- Ability to acquire knowledge and information about a wide range of subjects and apply it to translation tasks;
- Ability to respect deadlines without sacrificing quality;
- Ability to work under pressure in order to meet tight deadlines;
- Familiarity with the principles and practices of documentary translation;
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills, complemented by excellent communication and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to write, speak, and present in a clear and concise, diplomatic, tactful, and courteous manner.
- Ability to perform on sight translation and liaison interpretation.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use a computer and utilize software programs such as Microsoft Office Suite, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Experience with computer assisted translation tools, translation memory and other computer-aided translation software would be highly desirable.
- Receptive to review by Revisor and imbibes lessons learnt.
- Works collaboratively with colleagues on large translation projects, fulfilling responsibilities so as not to undermine group effort;
- Upholds team coherence.
- Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise;
- Is willing to learn from others.
- Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position;
- Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession;
- Actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally.
- Contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates;
- Shows willingness to learn from others.
- Seeks feedback to learn and improve.
- Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Translation or Bachelors of Arts Degree and a Certificate in Translation from a recognized school.
- A master’s degree in Translation
- At least three (3) years of professional translation experience;
- Experience with international organizations would be an advantage.
- To have at least three years translation experience in the ECOWAS System
- Candidates must not be over fifty (50) years of age at the point of recruitment.
- Excellent command of A language;
- Ability to work into other languages of working combination would be an asset
- Candidates must pass the ECOWAS Competitive Examination for Staff Translators (eliminatory), which will be followed by a competency-based interview.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/542162 to apply for this job .