Oxfam is an international confederation of 17 organizations (affiliates) committed to creating a just world without poverty. In Nigeria Oxfam works in the areas of Economic Justice/Sustainable Livelihoods, Humanitarian Programming to save lives, Advancing Gender Justice and Good Governance, adopting a right based approach.
- The Compliance Coordinator for the humanitarian response in NE Nigeria, working under direct supervision of the Humanitarian Programme Coordinator (HPC) will ensure that Oxfam is able to maintain the integrity of all business operations/ transactions and activities through the development, implementation and continuous monitoring of the risk management and the control framework (systems, structures, policies and procedures).
- This is achieved by providing periodic appraisal of Oxfam Novib policies, procedures, plans, donor contract guidelines compliance within various functional areas. The job holder will monitor actions agreed to address areas of high risk and/or control lapses observed.
- Accountable for the delivery of business systems, procedures and processes to enable the delivery of the risk and compliance strategy and objectives, in line with agreed key performance indicators and ensuring service level agreements are met where applicable.
- Has delegated authority for decision making around risk and compliance matters, and is accountable for managing responses to internal audit and inquiries from external regulatory bodies.
- Provides direction and strategic leadership for organizational change and development processes with a focus on ensuring that the business support functions (Finance, Logistics, Human Resources and ICT) adequately support the program teams.
- Establishes and/or refine and disseminate policies, systems and practices and provide training and guidance for effective management, procurement, disbursement and accounting for all financial resources in line with Oxfam global accounting policies, funder requirements and local law where required.
- Ensures business support processes align with Oxfam in country Strategic Objectives and can be accomplished in an efficient manner.
- Ensures shared understanding of, and creates organization-wide awareness about, the various risks inherent in Oxfam’s business context and operations and works with various employee groups to develop and execute effective risk mitigation strategies.
- Facilitates the evolution of a strong and effective risk management culture across the organization to ensure all business activities are carried out in accordance with Oxfam policies, relevant industry regulations, country laws and risk management standards.
- Budgeting, Financial Analysis and Donor Reporting:
- Works in close coordination with the Program Managers to ensure full adherence to the grant management rules and donor compliance standards. In coordination with Program Managers, prepare and track donor budgets and prepare modifications and activity realignments as necessary
- In coordination with Program Managers and other unit heads, monitor performance and efficiency of on-going donor projects by analyzing country/project monthly spend rates and highlighting possible problem areas.
- Validates monthly cost analysis and update cost ratios to ensure each donor bears the correct proportion of costs.
- Tracks and reviews budgets in consultation with budget holders and finance team; conducts detailed activity status review and give input to HPC and budget holders.
- Leads monthly review and analysis of financial reports and reconciliations with attention to how resources can be better allocated to achieve program objectives.
- Designs and maintains internal systems that ensure accurate and timely reporting on financial and program performance.
- Supports with integration of systems and provide project management support, as required.
Internal & External Audit Support:
- Supports preparation and successful conclusion of internal and external auditing activities for the Country Director (CD), Oxfam HQ and for the donor annual audit reporting.
- Conducts ad-hoc and confidential investigations on control breaches, as may be necessary from time to time.
- Reviews management comments for audit reports and work with HPC to monitor progress on work plans for implementation of audit recommendations from internal and external audits.
- Evaluates the adequacy of controls in the company's computing and communications systems
- Appraises the economy, efficiency and effectiveness with which company resources are deployed.
- Reviews systems and procedures across all business areas and recommending improvements to existing processes and procedures, where appropriate
- Reviews systems and procedures across all business areas and field offices recommending improvements to existing processes and procedures, where appropriate.
- In coordination with HR and the Finance Unit, oversee accurate and timely payroll generation
- Appraises the extent of compliance by various functional areas with policies, procedures, plans and legislation and monitoring actions agreed to address areas of high risk and/or control lapses observed.
Legal Risk Management and Statutory Compliance:
- In collaboration with Oxfam Legal Counsel and HQ, minimize legal risk to the organization and support to alleviate legal issues confronting the organization.
- Reviews and tests controls to ensure that Oxfam in Country systems are compliant with Oxfam Global policies, donor requirements, as well as local labor and procurement laws.
- Ensures prompt preparation and submission of all statutory returns, reports and tax compliance.
Donor and Partner Management:
- Ensures an understanding of donors’ administrative and financial requirements before entering and throughout the duration of the award.
- Develops and maintains effective partner grants and reports monitoring system, ensures adherence to Oxfam policies and procedures on partner management.
- Participates in regular meetings with partner organizations to fully understands the context and operating environment; ensures that the working relationship between them and Oxfam is positive, open and conducive to the successful achievement of agreed objectives.
Leadership, Coordination and Capacity Building:
- Designs training programs to continuously improve individual and organizational capacity to take on additional responsibility and ensure highest standards of funds accountability, ethics and compliances.
- Supports induction and training of new staff on donor contract management, and Oxfam’s systems, policies and procedures. This may include leading face-to face and / or remote training when required.
- Develops self, and maintains knowledge and awareness of Oxfam’s strategic objectives and international operations and an understanding of the implications of this on donor compliance issues.
- First degree in Accounting, Auditing, Economics, Business Administration or related disciplines.
- Minimum of 8 years progressively responsible positions in an INGO finance/audit operations team with at least 3 years’ experience of managing compliance.
- Proven knowledge of donor regulations, including USAID (OFDA) and other bilateral donors.
- Strong analytical skills and experience with ERP systems required. Strong working of Ms. Word, Excel, Access)
- Proven ability to influence activity at a senior level, taking initiative and working independently as well work as a team player; demonstrably cooperation with members of other teams, responding quickly and accurately to queries and issues.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal English) and the ability to write clear, concise reports.
- A strong commitment to high standards of service delivery and customer care.
- Good organizational and personal management skills, with ability to prioritize work issues to meet deadlines with minimal supervision and adjust to constantly changing situations while maintaining focus on delivery and follow-through.
- Well-developed conceptual, critical, problem solving and analytical thinking with the ability to convey complex information in a straightforward, interesting way, and influencing this to a wider audience.
- Proven leadership, project management and team building skills, including training, giving support and recognizing expertise in others.
- Commitment to Oxfam’s overall aims and policies and experience of promoting women’s rights and the interests of marginalized people in all aspects of Oxfam’s work.
- Knowledge or appreciation of Nigeria in terms of its political, economic and social trends plus a good understanding of the key development and humanitarian issues in the region.
- Knowledge and / or experience of common Oxfam norms objects, standards and tools
- Advanced University Degree (Master's degree or equivalent) in Finance, Economics, Business Administration, Project Management or other relevant discipline.
- Qualified/certified / member of an Accounting or Audit professional body.
What we offer
- Oxfam Novib is committed to providing you with a competitive, fair, and comprehensive pay and benefits package that is justifiable to our donors
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/541776 to apply for this job .