The Learning, Evidencing and Advocacy Partnership (LEAP) pillar of DFID's Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL) program is inviting applications from suitably qualified candidates to fill the position below:
- We require Consultants for consultancy assignments in public sector reform research
- Partnership to Engage, Reform and Learn (PERL) is a five-year Public-Sector Reform (PSR) programme funded by the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID).
- PERL’s focus is to improve how governments make and implement policies for public goods and services to the citizenry how citizens engage with this process and to improve the accountability mechanisms in place to do this.
The PERL programme is being delivered through three ‘pillars’ which plan and act together to support sustainable service delivery reforms:
- Pillar 1. Accountable, Responsive & Capable Government (ARC);
- Pillar 2. Engaged Citizens (ECP); and
- Pillar 3. Learning, Evidencing and Advocacy Partnership (LEAP).
- The programme works at the Federal level, in the focal states of Kano, Kaduna and Jigawa, and through regional learning and reform hubs in the South West, South East and North-East areas of Nigeria.
LEAP seeks to:
- Generate evidence on how PERL is contributing to governance reform and the improved delivery of public goods and services required for poverty reduction and growth.
- Strengthen the evidence base on how Nigeria can bring about governance reform, and
- Inform broader public debates, policymakers and policy communities concerned with public sector reform.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This call is open to consultants with relevant qualifications who are interested in conducting research on public sector reforms in the following thematic areas:
- Efficiency in government: core systems and services (public finance management, human resource management, procurement, web-based operations, use of information technology), with a view to increasing government’s efficiency.
- Organisation: structure and size of government; complementarities and boundaries between state, private and civil society delivery; between ministries and departments and quasi-governmental organisations; between federal and state and local government; organisation and coordination; centralization and decentralization, devolution and delegation
- Open government: increasing transparency and accountability.
- Capability and new business models: Core skills for civil servants; policy (problem) management, including use of evidence, and economic analysis; change management, including issues based approaches; performance management. approaches for working with the private sector and civil society; redefining the role of government in public goods and services delivery (in areas such as health, education, agriculture, investment climate).
- Senior Consultants, must be internationally rated,ie have worked internationally and/or on internationally-funded projects,
- Must have led teams or else been self-managed with a distinct product such as sole or lead authorship of reports or publications,
- Must at least have a relevant Master's Degree or higher qualification with 15 to 25 years of relevant work experience.
- Should at least possess a Postgraduate Degree with 6 to 15 years of relevant work experience.
- In addition, they should have a strong record of written outputs,
- Should at least have a Postgraduate Degree with 3 to 5 years of experience in a high-pressure environment with tight deadlines.
- Must be a self-starter with excellent research skills; written and oral communication skills.
Entry level Consultants:
- Should at least have an Undergraduate (preferably a postgraduate) Degree with 1 to 3 years working experience, should have good research skills and excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience working on research projects funded by DFID and/or international donors preferred.
- Experience working in Nigeria preferred.
- Individuals should have the following functional skills and competencies:
- Ability to conduct independent primary and secondary research, analyse research data and produce high level proposals and reports.
- Ability to provide policy advice and recommendations.
- Understand basic political economy concepts and be able to distinguish between formal and informal government processes
- In-depth knowledge on development issues in Nigeria and have commitment and drive for development work.
- Excellent analytical aptitude, oral communication, writing and presentation skills.
- Individuals should also have the following management and leadership abilities to:
- Work flexibly and respond quickly to feedback;
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic environment
- Build strong relationships with clients and external actors;
- Deliver timely on engagements.
- Proven ability to succeed in a multi-cultural environment.
- Senior level Consultants should be able to lead teams and resolve problems efficiently.
- Candidates should submit along with this application two writing samples of previous work (If co-authored, must show own distinct contribution)
- Candidates are requested to mention their interested area of expertise (refer to thematic areas listed above) in subject line of their application.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/541094 to apply for this job .