The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is a private, independent, humanitarian organization working on all aspects of the refugee cause in more than 30 countries throughout the world. The aim of DRC is to protect refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs) against persecution and to promote durable solutions to the problems of forced migration, on the basis of humanitarian principles and human rights. DRC works in accordance with the UN Conventions on Refugees and the Code of Conduct for the ICRC and NGOs in Disaster Relief.
About the Job:
- The Area Manager is responsible for the coordination, management, development and representation of DRC programming in Borno State - Nigeria. Your main duties and responsibilities will be:
- Management: Provide, coordination and integration, together with the HoPs DRC, DDG and other senior staff, of DRC activities in the area including, but not limited, to protection, emergency response, food security and WASH;
- Representation: Act as the main DRC representative in the Borno State and attend all relevant forums/meetings including active participation in the Humanitarian Regional Team (HRT) with the objective to strengthen DRC’s position in the area; as well as Develop, implement and regularly revise a DRC engagement strategy and acceptance in the area;
- Safety and Security: Ensure adherence to security procedures and monitoring developments in the security situation;
- Finance and Administration: Provide budget monitoring of assigned budgets, financial control in compliance with DRC country office requirements and as per the Operations Handbook;
- Reporting: Ensure compliance with internal reporting requirements and participate in the DRC internal coordination mechanisms as required.
- Accountability: Guided by the DRC Programme Handbook, continuously monitor and suggest relevant accountability initiatives in the field as well as strengthen the effort to document the impact of DRC activities in the area.
- To be successful in this role we expect you to have a high degree of responsibility, flexibility, and understanding of complex organizational charts as well as you have a character that can motivate and encourage a positive team spirit. Moreover, we also expect the following:
- University degree in International Relations, Management, Human Rights, Social Science or related field;
- Minimum 5 years professional work experience within international humanitarian/development work;
- Good understanding of displacement issues of both internally displaced and refugees and related international standards/frameworks;
- Solid project management experience;
- Extensive experience in representation and networking;
- Excellent negotiation, advocacy and communication skills;
- Professional fluency in written and spoken English;
- Experience or knowledge of the NE Nigerian context;
- Previous experience of working in insecure locations;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to establish effective working relations with local staff and other stakeholders;
- Excellent analytical and strategic skills;
- In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 1-year contract
Designation of Duty Station: Unaccompagnied/non-family duty station
Start date: 1st of December 2017 or earliest hereafter.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with Danish Refugee Council’s Terms of Employment for Expatriates
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/536765 to apply for this job .