Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
Purpose of Position
- The Head of Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) Support is responsible for playing a leading role in developing and delivering ECP's MEL plan, including production of place-level results frameworks, guidance on management processes and systems for adaptive learning (L&A), value for money (VFM), quarterly progress reporting (QPR) and annual review (AR) mechanisms in line with the broad MEL strategy and frameworks developed across the PERL pillars.
- The Head of MEL Support leads the National MEL Support Team and is responsible for directing and managing the inputs of long term staff and short term technical advisors to ensure state, regional and federal Delivery Teams are effectively supported to monitor, evaluate and learn from their actions in a coordinated manner.
- He/she is responsible for developing a MEL plan/protocols and ensuring integration of this with the programme's work planning, VFM, progress reporting and knowledge management and communications systems.
Visioning, Strategizing, Development of Approach:
- PERL MEL Strategy: Proactively contribute to development of the programme's overall monitoring, evaluation and learning strategy and frameworks as required and agreed through cross-pillar working groups.
- PERL L&A Strategy: Play a leading role for ECP on further development of PERL's adaptive learning management processes and systems, in line with and informing of the broad principles and architecture of L&A developed across the PERL pillars.
- PERL Results Frameworks: Play a leading role for ECP on development of appropriate objectives, indicators, baseline methodologies and target setting processes for populating ECP-lead components of PERL place-level results frameworks, in line with and informing of the broad principles and architecture of the PERL programme-level results framework.
- ECP MEL Support Strategy: Oversee development of the MEL Support Team?s strategy and frameworks (i.e. ECP's M&E plan/protocols) for guiding, mentoring and supporting Delivery Teams on routine use of PERL place-level planning and results frameworks, information management and management information systems for progress tracking, reporting, evidencing and VFM analysis, and mechanisms for adaptive learning (re-planning).
- PERL Communications for Reform: Play a leading role for ECP on implementation of components 3, 4 and 5 of PERL's Communications for Reform Approach (i.e. sharing tools, resources and approaches, internal communications and external communications).
Leadership, Teamwork, Relationship Management:
- Membership of ProgramManagement Team: Provide progress updates to the PMT on MEL support provided to Delivery Teams highlighting major achievements and challenges that need attention, contributing to decisions taken by the PMT and providing feedback to the MEL Support Team.
- Leadership of MEL Support Team: Provide daily leadership, advice and mentoring to all members of the MEL Support Team in line with ECP guidance on teamwork and HR management. Oversee their delivery of their individual ToRs.
- Relationship with Technical Director and Technical Manager: Additional technical advice, mentoring and oversight will be provided by the Technical Director (TD) and Technical Manager (TM) as required and agreed
- Relationship with Heads of Technical and Operational Support: Routinely liaise with the other two ECP Heads of Delivery to ensure the Technical, MEL and Operational Support Teams function and perform effectively together as a wider team in support of the Delivery Teams.
- Relationship with ARC and LEAP MEL & Communications for Reform (C4R) Leads: Regularly liaise with counterparts in the other two PERL pillars, and in other DFID programmes (on MEL and C4R related work) to build synergies with ECP.
- Relationship with Delivery Teams and Partners: Periodically liaise with Delivery Team Leaders, members of their teams, and ECP's partners, to gauge whether the MEL support they are receiving is in line with the agreed support strategy and framework (MEL plan/protocols and L&A guidance) and is meeting their needs.
Operationalisation of Approach, Delivery of Support, Results:
- HR Management: Contribute to the process of long-term staff recruitment, induction, performance management and professional development, and to the identification and management of appropriate STTA inputs for programme and place-level MEL and Communications for Reform, including drafting of TORs.
- Monitoring & Evaluation: Oversee implementation of the MEL Support Team?s strategy and frameworks for guiding, mentoring and supporting Delivery Teams. Facilitate periodic updating and fine-tuning of the team?s MEL support strategy, frameworks and systems as required, and provide direct support to Delivery Teams where required to ensure effective implementation of ECP's MEL strategy, frameworks and systems where this support cannot be provided by ECP's MEL Officers.
- Programme Reporting & Adaptive Learning: Together with the Head of Technical Support and short term technical support inputs from ITAD, support the MEL and Technical Support Teams to facilitate periodic ?place-level progress reviews?: joint reflection and adaptive learning (re-planning) sessions with ECP, ARC and LEAP Delivery Teams.
- Programme Communications for Reform: Provide direct support to Delivery Teams and partners on C4R activities, and oversee their delivery at the national level through agreed cross-pillar working groups.
- Place-Level Adaptive Learning & Communications for Reform: Provide direct inputs to Delivery Teams and partners as required and agreed, in support of their own development of adaptive learning and communications mechanisms.
Line Management Responsibilities
Line Managed By:
- National Team Leader (NTL): The Head of MEL Support is responsible for working under the direction provided by the NTL, regularly reporting to him/her and ensuring their performance of the above tasks (primary responsibilities) falls within agreed frameworks and operating principles, as well as building an effective working relationship with the NTL more broadly.
Line Manager of:
- Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer (MELO): Federal/National (Abuja-based)
- Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer (MELO): Regional/State (Kano-based)
- Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Officer (MELO): Regional/State (Lagos-based)
- Monitoring, Evaluation & Learning Reporting Officer (MELRO) (Abuja-based)
- Two State Team Leaders (STLs), as delegated by the NTL
- Ensure familiarity with all DFID and Palladium policies & procedures and check the ECP SharePoint regularly to ensure that any updates are also being implemented in a timely manner.
- Adhere to all stipulated PERL-ECP communications protocols regarding use of official email, Box, SharePoint/MIS, Twitter, Facebook, etc. accounts.
- Ensure all labour and finances relating to this role is accurately reported (using correct codes, inserting adequate comments) in timesheets, expense claims and cashbooks.
- Habitually monitor and promote value for money and diminishing dependency of partners on PERL resources in line with the programme?s engagement approach. Ensure cost of all activities completed falls within that forecasted to ensure monthly variances of reimbursable income to DFID are kept below 5% in Q1-Q3; 2% in Q4.
- Work to place the programme?s core values/principles, approach, ethos and priorities above private interests while delivering to this role.
- Educated to university degree level or above, preferably holding a Master's degree
- At least 10 years of experience supporting monitoring, evaluation & learning of voice and governance initiatives in Nigeria
- Experience working in a donor (preferably DFID) funded programme
- Experience managing people
Key Competencies and Professional Expertise Required:
- Very strong knowledge of systems for programme delivery, including strategic planning, value for money, monitoring & evaluation, adaptive learning, data management, and knowledge management & communications
- Ability to work as part of a complex team, take a mentoring-based approach to teamwork and staff development, and maintain remote working relationships
- Strong understanding of state and civil society dynamics in Nigeria at state, regional and federal levels
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/534374 to apply for this job .