The company operates retail stores for apparel, accessories, and beauty products across West Africa. The company is headquartered in Nigeria and currently holds franchises from several international fashion brands. The company is seeking to strengthen its team through the recruitment of an environmental, social and governance (ESG) manager to support the company’s rapidly growing portfolio, consistent with its vision of becoming the leading branded retail and distribution company on the continent.
Reports to: Managing Director
The ESG Manager’s responsibilities will include:
- Environmental and social (E&S) review and appraisal of new franchise investment proposals for the company’s consideration, including the identification of potential E&S impacts, risks and issues as early in the project cycle as possible, develop recommendations for client actions and draft relevant project processing documentation. The E&S appraisal will include site visits.
- Overseeing the effective implementation of the company’s Environmental and Social Management Systems and addressing environmental and social issues associated with operational activities.
- Reporting on the company’s compliance with all applicable social, health and safety and environmental laws including relevant international standards and guidelines (IFC Performance Standards and applicable EHS requirements).
- Overseeing the E&S performance of franchises and retail outlets. Actively working with retail operations managers to ensure the effective monitoring of E&S performance, carrying out audits (including site visits) in collaboration with the retail operations managers and flagging any breaches.
- Identifying opportunities for adding value in a franchise management structure related to E&S opportunities above and beyond risk management, if and when appropriate.
- To serve as an ambassador on E&S matters within and outside the company and contribute to institutional knowledge base by analyzing and disseminating lessons learned and best practice from specific investments and disseminate them within the organisation.
- Working on the development/continuous improvement of E&S tools, checklists and guidelines to improve efficiencies of project processing and enable improved management of E&S issues.
- Where required, work with independent E&S consultants hired by the company, investors or Franchise Company.
- Working with company management regularly and periodically to review the overall E&S risks of the company’s business operations.
- Representing the company at technical meetings, industry events and relevant E&S fora.
- Monitoring of the company’s Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) legal compliance requirements.
Qualifications and Requisite Skills
- A master’s degree in relevant discipline (environmental, social sciences, sustainable development, or related). In particular, a combination of E&S and business development training and skill-sets would be a differentiator.
- A minimum of 5 years of practical experience in health and safety, environmental and social management and assessment. Experience in sectors such as retail, FMCG, and/or manufacturing is required and experience in working with the financial institutions would be a plus.
- Experience and familiarity with the IFC Performance Standards and World Bank Group EHS Guidelines. Experience and familiarity with the ILO Core Labour Standards will be an advantage.
- Ability to work and champion environmental, safety and social actions / issues at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to communicate and maintain positive and proactive relations with all level of employees, as well as other external stakeholders such as communities, contractors, regulatory agencies, etc.
- Strong analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyse diverse information, manage multiple projects simultaneously and work effectively often under time pressure and with minimum supervision.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written English language skills.
- Knowledge and working experience in emerging markets, particularly in the African continent and ability to travel frequently in the region required.
- High level of work and ethical standards and a demonstrated ability to handle procedures that involve highly sensitive and confidential information.
- Demonstrated maturity and judgment and sound decision-making and negotiating skills.
- Good team player who can work as a member of multi-disciplinary teams.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/525317 to apply for this job .