The Nigerian Dairy Development Program (NDDP) is geared towards improving the livelihoods of smallholder dairy farmers in Nigeria by improving the productivity of their cattle and integrating them into the formal dairy value chain in Nigeria. The Project also includes a nutrition component and gender component which are geared towards improving nutrition outcomes and promoting women empowerment in smallholder farming communities
This project is implemented by Sahel Capital Partners & Advisory Ltd. and a consortium of other partners. The project seeks to boost the yields and incomes of smallholder farmers, increase nutrition outcomes and empower women involved in agriculture in Africa
The role of the Dairy and Livestock Specialist (D&LS) is to plan and implement the technical aspects of the dairy development component of the NDDP. He/she will be required to work alongside dairy processors involved in the project and other project team members to develop tools and approaches to assist smallholder dairy farmers improve their production and productivity. He/she will be required to manage sub-grantees recruited to support interventions around, but not limited to genetics and breed improvement, livestock health management, feed and fodder management, milk production, milk quality and milk safety. The Dairy and Livestock Specialist will also work closely with a wide range of service providers to ensure critical services are provided to smallholder dairy farmers while working with stakeholders at the federal and state ministries of agriculture as well as the dairy processors involved in the program to design and implement innovative approaches for delivering extension services targeted at smallholder farmers.
- Planning, developing and implementing Dairy Development Services
- In coordination with the Project Management Office (PMO) and dairy processors implementing partners, the D&LS will plan and implement activities related to the dairy component of the program.
- Develop and implement innovative ways for delivering farmer extension and animal health services to smallholder farmers. Amongst other activities, this will also include piloting innovative mobile cattle health camps, vaccination camps etc. in close coordination with dairy processors, federal and state ministries of agriculture.
- Oversee the process of planning and delivering a comprehensive genetics and breeding program targeted at increasing the cross-bred cow population among Fulani and smallholder non-Fulani farmers in Nigeria. This will entail working with technical consultants hired by the project to develop project plans as well as prepare post-delivery tracking reports to provide updates on results.
- The D&LS will work closely with the processors to identify and negotiate terms with suppliers of feed concentrates and supplements in order to provide smallholder farmers with a credible source of improved feeds.
- At the farmer’s and farmer group level, the D&LS will work with the processors to train local resource persons, leader farmers and community livestock workers to provide capacity building trainings on herd management, dairy nutrition, silage, fodder and feed management, health management etc. with a particular focus on improving milk production, yields and quality as well as ensuring adequate women representation in capacity building initiatives undertaken as part of the project.
- Lead the process of developing a dairy management curriculum among other teaching materials in English and other languages to support the process of delivering training and capacity building support to farmers, extension officers and other stakeholders involved in the project.
- The D&LS will assist the PMO in supporting the implementation of other project activities, including the women empowerment and nutrition components of the program.
- Documentation, Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Assist the Project Manager and Project Coordinators to develop project strategies, project plans technical capacity building interventions, activities and policies related to increasing the production and productivity of smallholder dairy farmers.
- Participate in monthly field visits to project sites as per the requirement of the project
- Support the PMO in monitoring progress and evaluation of project activities including financial performances
- Document and disseminate case studies, best practices on extension services, production, livestock health management, feed and fodder production and other related activities and lessons picked up during the project.
- Assist the PMO in preparation of progress reports (quarterly, annual, final) and respond to the queries related to project particularly related to technical aspects of the project.
- Coordinate with federal, state and local governments, communities, project beneficiaries, private sector service providers and suppliers, consultants, and other stakeholders at project level for effective delivery of project activities
- Assist the PMO to maintain good relations with project beneficiaries, partner organizations, and other stakeholders
Qualification and Requirements:
- Masters Degree in Dairy Science, Animal Production and Health, Veterinary Services, Livestock Management, Dairy Food Technology or related field with at least two years of work experience in similar capacity or Bachelors Degree in Dairy Science, Animal Production and Health, Veterinary Services, Livestock Management, Dairy Food Technology with at least five years of work experience in related fields.
- Proven experience, skills and knowledge and preferred experience on dairy management, animal health, feed/fodder management and livestock extension services especially in African settings.
- Strong program management skills and high level of analytical skills in planning and project implementation
- Ability to be flexible, respond professionally, and establish priorities in often fluid, changing, and challenging situations with little clear guidance is necessary.
- Ability to work calmly, tactfully, and effectively under pressure and to demonstrate extreme flexibility in managing more than one activity.
- Ability to interact directly and independently with senior management of potential clients, technical partners and senior government officials
- Ability to influence and rally support from executives at managing director and executive director positions to support strategic initiatives.
- Strong communication, analytical and report writing skills
- Willingness and enthusiasm for working with rural and vulnerable communities living in remote areas of the country.
Proficiency in the English language (required) and Yoruba and Hausa (preferred)
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/495000 to apply for this job .