The Nigerian Red Cross, as part of its strategic plan to position itself as Nigeria’s leading humanitarian and disaster management intervention organization, is currently recruiting highly professional and mission-focused individuals to fill the key position below in the organization.
Successful candidates will be joining a visionary organization with an extensive network of local branches in every state and over 800,000 volunteers working closely with those in need of humanitarian assistance.
The Assistant Secretary General acts in place of the Secretary General in his absence to:
Supervise and Co-ordinate the activities of Human Resource and Organizational Development of the National Society through Management by objectives (MBO).
Supports the SG in providing team leadership and strategic direction to ensure successful and timely delivery of the National Society’s (NS) planned activities according to NRCS strategic plan and in line with the international Federation Strategy 2020.
- To support the Secretary General in his task and be responsible for such in the absence of the Secretary General.
- Supervise and guide the activities of the Human Resource, Organizational Development and the functions of Zonal and Branch officers and advise the Secretary General on all NS Organizational and Human Resource issues.
- Coordinate the process to develop appropriate periodic work plans and strategic development plan.
- Coordinate activities leading to the revision of the SDP of the National Society.
- Coordinate a process in formulation and drafting of partnership agreements
- Ensure that Branches meet minimum standard in developing their structures and capacity to implement programme and activities.
- Organize and co-ordinate results focused staff and volunteers training to improve activity implementation and reporting.
- Develop and implement capacity and performance assessment system to determine strengths and gaps in implementation of National Society’s activities with the objective to improve performance.
- Undertake assessment of current skills of subordinates and recommending capacity development programmes to improve performance.
- Develop a six months performance objectives measurable, achievable and which has a time bound and clear indicators) specific to this job description and agreed upon with immediate supervisor (within one month of employment) performance will be evaluated against the progress towards these performance objectives.
- Work with subordinate (Head of Departments, Officers and Zonal Officers) to develop a set of six months performance objectives specific to each of the employee’s job description (within one month) and whose performance will be evaluated against.
- Perform annual job performance reviews of subordinates.
- Show capacity to assist other personnel, and demonstrate the aptitude for maintaining cooperative and team spirit necessary to achieve objectives of the National headquarters.
- Show initiative and creativity/innovation in implementation of specific tasks
- Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Secretary General or the Board.
Note: The duties enunciated above are intended to describe the duties of the appointee expected to undertake the position. It is not a complete and exhaustive list as alterations or deletion of duties may occur from time to time in accordance with the Nigerian Red Cross Society.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in any field. Post graduate studies will be an added advantage.
- Extensive experience in Leadership roles in the humanitarian sector
- Experience or demonstrated interest in humanitarian and community development
- Experience in training/working with youth and volunteers an advantage
- Understanding of current key international law issues related to armed conflict and humanitarian affairs
- Keen interest to keep up-to-date with world humanitarian affairs
- Empathy with humanitarian causes and a commitment to the Fundamental Principle of the International Red Cross Movement
- Competence in a variety of computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, social media
- Understanding of The Federal Republic of Nigeria’s Government and legislative processes an advantage
- Experience in the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement a significant advantage
Fluency in any other language will be an added advantage.
Minimum of 8 years work experience
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/494217 to apply for this job .