The Nigerian Red Cross, as part of its strategic plan to position itself as Nigeria’s leading humanitarian and disaster management intervention organization, is currently recruiting highly professional and mission-focused individuals to fill the key position below in the organization.
Successful candidates will be joining a visionary organization with an extensive network of local branches in every state and over 800,000 volunteers working closely with those in need of humanitarian assistance.
The Secretary General is, by law, the Chief Administrative Manager of the affairs of the National Society of the Nigerian Red Cross Society, and is saddled with the responsibility of co-ordinating and supervising the operations of the Heads of departments or controllers, including the activities at the branches, divisions, zonal levels, sub-committees and any other function as may be assigned to the office from time to time.
- Being the most senior full time manager, the Secretary General shall be the highest Management Authority in the National Society Secretariat carrying out his functions under the authority of the Board.
- To implement the decisions of the Central Council executive Committee, the Board and other mandate given to him by other bodies of the society.
- To manage and control the secretariat and be responsible for the execution of the work entrusted to it so as to achieve the stated goals of the Society.
- To prepare annual budgets and annual financial reports working with the National Adviser for Finance and Planning and the National Treasurer.
- To organize the different services of the secretariat in accordance with the decisions of the Board.
- To be the authorized representative of the society in relation to other parties and courts of law for all transactions executed in notaries form relating to the acquisitions, administration and expenditure of the Society.
- To implement the decisions of the Central Council, the Central Council executive Committee and the Board.
- To carry out any other function assigned to him by the present statute or entrusted to him by the Central Council Executive Committee, or the President.
- To report on the activities of the Society to the Board, the Central Council Executive Committee and the Central Council as the situation dictates.
- To attend the Central Council and the Central Council Executive Committee and the Board as the Secretary.
Note: The duties enunciated above are intended to describe the duties of the appointee expected to undertake the position. It is not a complete and exhaustive list as alterations or deletion of duties may occur from time to time in accordance with the Nigerian Red Cross Society.
Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in any field. Post graduate studies is an advantage.
The Secretary General is expected to possess:
- Extensive experience in Leadership roles in the humanitarian sector
- Experience or demonstrated interest in humanitarian and community development
- Experience in training/working with youth and volunteers is an advantage
- Understanding of current key international law issues related to armed conflict and humanitarian affairs
- Keen interest to keep up-to-date with world humanitarian affairs
- Empathy with humanitarian causes and a commitment to the Fundamental Principle of the International Red Cross Movement
- Competence in a variety of computer applications, including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, social media
- Understanding of The Federal Republic of Nigeria’s Government and legislative processes an advantage
- Experience in the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement a significant advantage
- Administrative and executive skills to successfully integrate the National Red Cross Society
- Leadership skills to determine the character and efficiency of the national society
- Strong communications skills. Fluency in languages is an added advantage
- Mediation skills
- The highest qualities of political judgment, tact and integrity
- Ability to build team spirit
- Moral authority to model the independent role
Minimum of 10 years work experience
The appointee must be able to travel within Nigeria and overseas.
Interested and qualified candidates should send a 1-page 4-year Vision Statement for the Nigerian Red Cross Society and CV as attachment
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/494212 to apply for this job .