Synapse Services is a privately-owned Centre for Psychological Medicine located in the heart of Nigeria – Abuja, Lagos and Niger state. We provide first class psychological and psychiatric care as well as treatment of addictions, with a range of therapeutic programs suited to individual and family needs. We retain the services of a robust mixture of local and internationally trained staff that provide excellent, client focused services. We also provide consultancy services to both government and non-governmental organisations in area of mental health
We are currently expanding and would need a part time Consultant Psychiatrist to work in a new unit about 10-15minutes drive from the international airport in Ikeja, lagos state The post can be upgraded to a full time post as the services becomes more established. It is anticipated that 3 consultants will eventually run the unit: Consultant will be required to work 5-half days or 3 full days a week.
To deliver upon this ambition our overarching Service objectives are to deliver a service that is:
The services to be provided at the new unit include
- Inpatient and outpatient care for patients suffering with mental disorders
- A dedicated wing for Specialised child and adolescent psychiatry services with specialization in managing ADHD and Autistic spectrum disorders
- In-patient and community based Drug rehabilitation services
- Sleep Clinic with use of some specialised equipment
- Treatment of disorders using Rapid Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation, RTMS
- Treatment Using ECT
- Smoke cessation services.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assessment, Diagnosis and treatment: Responsible for patient assessment prior to admission, in patient care, discharge planning and aftercare
- Responsible for treating and managing mental illness, emotional disturbance and abnormal behavior in patients by prescribing psychotherapeutic treatments and medication.
- Provide Clinical leadership in interaction, planning and collaboration with multidisciplinary team comprising of Psychiatric Nurses, Social Workers, and Clinical Psychologists in delivering a comprehensive high quality service.
- Management of complexity, severity and risk to the patient, contain anxieties within the team and have overall responsibility of patient treatment plans whilst liaising with the multidisciplinary team.
- Construct an accurate summary of patient’s needs, strengths, and a comprehensive individualized risk assessment that contributes to care planning.
- Ensure that leaflets explaining diagnosis, medication and its effects are given to patient, explained and documented.
- To type and file discharge summaries on all patients discharged from Synapse Services within 72 hours of discharge
- Must see every patient discharged from Synapse Services within 7 days post discharge
- Run regular follow up clinics and encourage patient attendance
- Carry out home visits to review patients
- work with other senior clinical team members to make sure that colleagues understand the professional status and specialty of all team members, their roles and responsibilities in the team, and who is responsible for each aspect of patient care
- with other senior clinical team members to make sure make sure that staff are clear about their individual and team objectives, their personal and collective responsibilities for patient and public safety, and for openly and honestly recording and discussing problems
- Person Specifications Attribute
- Full Registration with the Nigerian Medical Council.
- To hold Approved Clinician status at the point of taking up post.
- Fellowship in Psychiatry certificate (Either National or West Africa)
- Other additional qualifications eg MBA,MPH
- Prior experience working in a Mental Health Teams.
- Experience of psychiatric practice in a range of settings, especially the community and inpatient.
- Experience of audit and an understanding of the principles of clinical governance and research
- Evidence of development of special interest in Community based Psychiatry.
- Proven commitment to improving the quality of clinical care.
- The appointee is expected to have appropriate experience and be committed to working in fast developing service. Special interest in Child psychiatry and or addiction.
- Teaching and Supervision
- Experience of teaching undergraduates and postgraduates.
- Evidence of additional teaching skills. .
- Experience in Clinical Supervision.
- The appointee will be required to participate in the programme of teaching and supervision.
- Ability to work collaboratively with colleagues and managers. Will be the clinical lead for that unit
- Management training / experience.
- Experience of involvement in service development.
- The appointee will be expected to actively contribute to the development of clinical services across all Synapse units
- Ability to interpret published research and to apply research findings to clinical practice.
- Aptitude for and practical experience of research.
- Experience of critical evaluation and a commitment to evidence based practice is an important component of clinical governance.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Evidence of ability to exercise leadership in a multi-disciplinary team.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other clinical teams.
Evidence of new ideas in service delivery.
- A track record of implementing service initiatives.
- Participating in the innovation and implementation of new service initiatives will be a part of the appointee’s role.
- Need to work effectively with other services.
Non governmental Organisation
- Service Development
- A team player able to inspire and support staff at all levels of training and across professional disciplines.
- A commitment to continuing professional development.
- A commitment to multidisciplinary and multi-agency working.
- A commitment to respect, inclusiveness and diversity
- Will be required be an integral part of the business development unit and expected to prospect new business opportunities.
- A track record of team leadership or collaboration with other agencies.
- Will require ability to form partnerships with Funders and other Charities. We be required to liaise regularly y with Country representatives in America and the United Kingdom
- You need to be quite creative. expected to carry out PowerPoint presentations to organisations
- The appointee will be expected to join a culture that fosters a multidisciplinary approach.
- Will be involved in fund raising and carrying out programs for our sister Charity (Reconnect Health Development Initiative
- Administrative roles such as Clinical Directors and Assistant Medical Directors will hopefully be advertised in the near future
- Committed staff are able to go on curses abroad to learn new models of treatment and lead the establishment of such services in Nigeria.
- An opportunity to buy shares and be a part owner of that local service
Application closing date : 12 noon, 15th November 2016
Shortlisted candidates will have an interview on 23rd and 24th of November 2016 and will be required to carry out a power point presentation on
As the lead Clinician in a new Synapse Mental health Unit, what will you do in your first 100 days following resumption of duty’
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/492352 to apply for this job .