JEI-Nigeria is looking for a committed individual with significant civil litigation, criminal defense, and alternative dispute resolution experience to join our team as a Staff Attorney based in Lagos. He/she will be an innovative thinker and with strong technical skills, who is committed to using the law as a tool for social change and supporting grassroots legal empowerment and access to justice. The Staff Attorney will work with members of JEI-Nigeria staff, community paralegals, and members of grassroots movements such as the Nigerian Slum/Informal Settlement Federation.
- Work with JEI-Nigeria’s legal team and community paralegals to provide grassroots legal aid and legal education to urban poor populations in Lagos, with a focus on persons living in slums/informal settlements, persons working in the informal economy, persons living with disabilities, and minorities.
- Train, encourage, and supervise community paralegals in Lagos.
- Draft and file legal processes and make court appearances.
- Conduct legal research in support of strategic litigation and advocacy.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond paralegal supervision, litigation, and research as part of the JEI-Nigeria team.
- At least 5 years experience in civil litigation and criminal defense. Please describe the required experience in a short cover letter. Candidates with more than three years’ experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Degree in law and admission (current) to the Nigerian Bar.
- Demonstrated ability to use law as a tool for social change.
- Strong legal writing, legal research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Training / teaching skills required.
- Experience working with grassroots movements a significant plus.
- Training and experience in human rights law a plus.
- Training and experience in land law a plus.
- NGO project management experience a plus.
- Experience litigating cases before ECOWAS Community Court of Justice and/or the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights a plus.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment a plus.
- Fluency in “broken” / Pidgin English required. Fluency in Yoruba, Egun, and/or Hausa languages skills a significant plus.
A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please send a CV/résumé, cover letter, and two writing samples from relevant work via email with the words “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/489981 to apply for this job .