The American University of Nigeria, Yola, is seeking qualified candidates to fill this role
Summary of position:
The Assistant Professor of History will be responsible for teaching, research and community service as may be requested by the Dean.S/he will be able to teach Nigerian Peoples and Cultures and African history. The successful candidate will be expected to also contribute to teaching other courses related broadly to History such as Western Civilization, Asian and Middle Eastern Civilization, History & Philosophy of Science. The successful candidate will engage in historical research on the peoples and cultures of Nigeria – from pre-colonial to pre-independence era. S/he will work closely with the Dean of the school in formulating and implementing course structure that will translate to effective teaching and learning of Nigerian history and civilizations in general in line with the development philosophy of the American University of Nigeria
- Teaching: The primary responsibility of a faculty member is teaching and supporting students through problem-centred learning.
- Research: Faculty members are expected to undertake research in relevant areas of expertise and in line with university mission.
- Community Service: Faculty are to contribute to AUN community service and development activities
- Class Attendance: Faculty members should make clear that students are expected to attend class and complete required assignments.
- Academic Advising: Faculty members must be available to assist students throughout the semester and maintain stipulated student office hours.
- Department/Schools Meetings: Attending meetings on a regular basis and as necessary to facilitate communication and to accomplish the work required for the smooth operation of the department and school.
- Attendance at Academic Functions: Full-time faculty members are expected to attend meetings of the faculty and any all-college meetings called by AUN administration.
- Must have a PhD in History from a reputable University
- Must have a minimum of three years of post-secondary teaching & research experience garnered at a reputable University
- Must have a promising scholarship and present verifiable evidence of academic publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals
- Must have expertise in African history, particularly history of Nigerian peoples and cultures; and/or history of western civilization and culture from the Middle Ages to the Enlightenment
- Experience in Africa or other parts of the developing world is a must.
- Must be proficient in use of ICT tools and e-resources for teaching and research
- Applicants are expected to have the appropriate academic credentials (PhD earned in the US or UK), as well as successful U.S. post-secondary teaching experience.
- A strong commitment to development
- An understanding of the essential values of academic integrity, civility, collegiality and diversity in a community of learners
- A demonstrated commitment to academic excellence, cultural diversity, and equal opportunity
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/487615 to apply for this job .