The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide.
WFP is seeking qualified individuals with experience working in culturally sensitive and complex environments often in remote areas.
- Under the general supervision and guidance of the Head of Security
- Assist in the provision of technical advice, guidance and support e.g. security assessments and plans to COs to strengthen the capacity within security management and crisis readiness and preparedness, contributing to the development of country strategy, policies and planning.
- Contribute to the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of security situation needs in line with innovative methodologies and best practices.
- Conduct context analysis in conflict affected areas of operations, determining the key characteristics and locations of non-state armed groups (NSAG).
- Assist with communications and negotiations to garner security guarantees or “acceptance” for WFP to operate in NSAG’s areas of control.
- Keep up to date with and advise upon local security developments and issues and the potential impact upon WFP activity to inform security and operational activities.
- Monitor and maintain an effective security management communications system that enables rapid and co-ordinated security activities.
- Maintain productive relationships with local partners to align activities and optimise the best protection for staff, activities and facilities.
- Work in close collaboration with internal counterparts to align activities with wider programmes and ensure compliance with security policies and guidance.
- Manage junior security staff, providing coaching and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Represent WFP at local and inter-agency meetings e.g. Security Co-ordination Cells to present relevant security issues and contribute to technical discussions, exchange of knowledge and experience.
- Facilitate training sessions as required to build the security capabilities of WFP and external partners.
- Oversee and prepare accurate and timely reporting, e.g. mandatory Field Security reports that enable informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of WFP activities, providing technical analysis and information as required to support the assessment of activity impact.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
Qualifications & Experience Required Education:
- Advanced University degree in Security Management, International Relations or Law Enforcement or other relevant field, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- A diploma obtained from Military/Police Academy with qualifying relevant experience may be accepted in lieu of the First University degree.
- A minimum of 5 years relevant professional experience is required in the following:
- Contributed to the development of systems and tools for the monitoring and assessment of security situations in line with innovative methodologies and best practice
- Provided support in the provision of technical security operations advice to strengthen the security management function
- Managed small teams of staff with somewhat varied areas of expertise Gained considerable experience in one or two operational areas
- Technical Skills & Knowledge:
- Sound understanding of security risk concepts and management principles with a board knowledge of best practices, techniques and processes and specialized knowledge in a specific area.
- Ability to deliver effective training, assessing participant needs and responding flexibly.
- Ability to coordinate action/reports with security entities of other UN agencies, funds and programmes.
- Commercial knowledge with the ability to develop, manage and control budgets, with frequently limited funding.
- Knowledge of common business principals and processes and the ability to quickly assimilate UN/WFP specific processes and systems.
- International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, Spanish, and/or WFP’s working language, Portuguese.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/484270 to apply for this job .