MTN Nigeria is part of the MTN Group, Africa's leading cellular telecommunications company. On May 16, 2001, MTN became the first GSM network to make a call following the globally lauded Nigerian GSM auction conducted by the Nigerian Communications Commission earlier in the year. Thereafter the company launched full commercial operations beginning with Lagos, Abuja and Port Harcourt.
MTN paid $285m for one of four GSM licenses in Nigeria in January 2001. To date, in excess of US$1.8 billion has been invested building mobile telecommunications infrastructure in Nigeria.
Since launch in August 2001, MTN has steadily deployed its services across Nigeria. It now provides services in 223 cities and towns, more than 10,000 villages and communities and a growing number of highways across the country, spanning the 36 states of the Nigeria and the Federal Capital Territory, Abuja. Many of these villages and communities are being connected to the world of telecommunications for the first time ever.
- To ensure the legal protection of MTNN’s business interests.
- Extract value from what we already have through cross-functional/and or regionally focused activities such as: multi-functional business optimisation, contracts review and negotiation, cross-functional capital/budget efficiency projects etc.
- Innovation –
- identifying and taking advantage of new cross-functional business opportunities, eg, through nurturing new business opportunities, products launched, product/process innovation, structural changes, etc.
- Maintain leadership in the ICT/Digital industry by influencing state legislations & policies, participating in state level industry think-tanks, building & extending national B-2-B and similar relationships, etc.
- Enhance/expand MTN’s role in the larger national and ecosystem through participation as thought leader, executing regional/local CSR projects, involvement in (inter)industry non-ICT policy & think-tank activities, data analysis, reviews, etc.
- Cross-functional people leadership activities: coaching, staff development and motivation, employee networks mentorship/support, cross-division employee engagement projects, faculty roles, talent mentorship, etc.
- Generic activities necessary for positive business outcomes such as: supporting recruitment, thought leadership/execution as internal (interview/disciplinary) panel member, influencing next level leaders (eg, at ExCom) etc.
- Formulate and actively contribute to the development of legal services strategies in line with the mandate of, and in line with the vision and mission of MTNN
- Develop, execute and manage legal services approved plans, programs and activities in support of MTNN’s operations
- Oversee drafting of legal agreements and review all relevant documentation supporting contracts for authenticity and validity.
- Review and validate developed and structured contractual framework, validating legal framework negotiated with other parties.
- Manage litigations and disputes, providing general legal advice to the company.
- Provide technical leadership/advice in the formulation and development of framework, policies and guidelines and ensure compliance of operations with
- First degree in any relevant discipline
- Fluent in English and language of country preferable
- LLB and BL
- Possession of an MBA or Masters in relevant fields will be advantageous
- At least 12 years of litigation and commercial experience which includes:
- Senior management track record of 3 years or more; with at least 3 years in relevant sector/ industry as per relevant role
- Experience working in a global/multinational enterprise (understanding emerging markets advantageous)
- Worked across diverse cultures and geographies
- Experience in negotiating commercial transactions including funding
- In-depth experience and understanding of the Nigerian Legal and Commercial framework
- Implementation of Strategy and Development
- Effective Management and Leadership
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/483477 to apply for this job .