An International Development Organization is seeking applications from qualified Nigerian nationals for this position
- The State Engineer will support the Engineering Design and Environmental Compliance Manager to ensure that all projects are implemented in accordance with sound technical, environmental and engineering standards. The State Engineer provides technical support with respective to design and detailing of structures, training and supervision to project engineers who are implementing small and medium-sized infrastructure subprojects. The State Engineer will provide technical input to NERI staff during the project identification, development and implementation: including budget preparation, scheduling, environmental reviews and compliance monitoring, preparing and reviewing designs, and progress monitoring and reporting. The State Engineer will ensure that all infrastructure projects are completed within the available time-frame, allowing sufficient time for close down, demobilization, handover, final invoicing, and, if necessary, contract termination.
Reporting and Supervision:
- The State Engineer technically reports to the Engineering Design & Environmental Compliance Manager in Abuja and administratively to the State Program Manager based respectively in Adamawa and Yobe State. The State Engineer has no direct reportees, but oversees the work of up to 10 temporary project engineers at a time.
- Carry out structural design and detailing of structures, inclusive of office and residential buildings, schools and community centers.
- Conduct final checks on project designs and specifications to ensure that all designs, drawings and BOQs are in accordance with sound technical, environmental and engineering standards before passing on to Abuja for final approval
- Interpretation and application of geotechnical reports to ensure standard foundation choice and construction.
- Directly supervise construction and renovation works in the program area, and/or provide technical assistance and supervision to Project Engineers for all NERI infrastructure projects within the program area
- Assist the Program team in identifying and developing infrastructure projects. Input will include, but not be limited to, establishing construct-ability, identifying potential field difficulties, and budget preparation to include material, labor, equipment and service costs
- Prepare EDFs (Pls provide the full name and place the acronym infront), identifying mitigation measures into projects. Ensure that these mitigation measures are planned, budgeted and carried out
- Conduct daily monitoring visits to infrastructure project sites, including unannounced visits in order to monitor progress and ensure compliance. Preparation of daily reports and weekly summary submissions to the Engineering Design and Environmental Compliance Engineer
- Assist in evaluating and pre-qualifying potential subcontractors
- Set up and maintain local price databases using inputs from the procurement teams, past activities and assessment visits.
- Assist in the tendering, tender evaluation and contract recommendation processes for sub consultants and sub contracts.
- Directly carry out, or oversee Project Engineer pre-final and final inspection of all infrastructure works
- Technically review all invoices for state infrastructure subprojects submitted according to project invoice review procedures;
- Interface with grantees, sub-contractors and vendors as required ensuring transparent program processes are upheld.
- Participate in final review and close out of grant activities
- Any other duties suitable to task and commensurate with ability
Requirements and Qualifications
- University degree in Civil Engineering or similar field of study.
- 5 years’ structural design and detailing as well as general work experience. 4 years’ specific work experience with a large portfolio assistance program providing infrastructure project implementation: Construction supervision as Resident Engineer, Construction Manager or Contractor’s Site Representative.
- Expert use of AutoCAD and CADS RC; structural design software such as CADS SMART Engineer and Orion for structural modelling. Willingness to learn additional software as the need may arise.
- Familiarity with USAID Environmental Compliance regulations and experience in preparation of EDFs
- Ability to work independently, think creatively and apply problem solving skills and provide technical supervision
- Excellent report writing and communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to manage a diverse range of professional relationships essential.
- Proficient oral and written communication skills in English.
- Fluency in Hausa or Kanuri desired.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/476056 to apply for this job .