The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
- In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. NRC will initially be starting activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter/NFI sectors. NRC is therefore seeking a Finance Assistant in Maiduguri, Nigeria. The Finance Assistant reports to the Finance Officer.
- Ensure adherence with NRC policies, tools, handbook and guidelines.
- Ensure proper filling of document
- Assist Finance Officer to prepare and develop reports as required by management
- Establish good and considerate working relationship with all staff within the programs, demonstrating respect for their own roles and responsibilities
- Promote and share ideas for improvement of the support function
- Ensure that all supporting documents are complete and accurate before the financial transaction is done.
- Ensure daily, weekly, monthly and periodic cash count is done
- Assist Finance Officer in tracking advance and ensure that clearance of advance is done on time.
- Take day to day responsibility of managing cheque payments.
- Take day to day responsibility of managing petty cash and cash box
- Maintain up to date records, project accounts on the system to ensure that timely, accurate and appropriate information is available and reported.
- Preparation of payment vouchers for cash and cheques and ensure timely settlement of all undisputed invoices.
- Facilitate and assist finance Officer to perform cash and bank reconciliation.
- Ensure an effective filling system such that the files are updated, complete and safe guarded.
- Any other duties that may arise to support NRC’s goals and objectives
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Experience from working as a Finance Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Degree in Accounting or related field
- Professional qualification ICAN, ACCA will be an added advantage
- At least 2 years of experience working in an accounting department (preferably NGO)
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Very good knowledge of Microsoft Office, especially Excel and Word
- Must be able to work under pressure
- Personal qualification
- Relevant experience in Finance and knowledge in Microsoft Office and accounting software (Agressor).
- Excellent inter personal and communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Organised and a good planner and possess significant understanding of complex emergencies
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/474464 to apply for this job .