Director of Health and Nutrition
Dangote Foundation (DF) is a private foundation of Aliko Dangote established with a mission to enhance opportunities for social change through strategic investments that improve health and wellbeing, promote quality education, and broaden economic empowerment opportunities. Dangote Foundation was incorporated in 1994 as a charity in Lagos. 20 years later, the Foundation has become the largest private Foundation in sub Saharan Africa, with the largest endowment by a single African donor. The organization started off being largely grant based but has evolved to operate and implement programs, and has intervened in various areas, most notably health care and disaster relief.
In 2013, Dangote Foundation partnered with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to work on eradicating polio and strengthening routine immunization in Northern Nigeria. As a result of that partnership, there has not been any new case of polio since July 2014. In 2014, a board of trustees was appointed to oversee the Foundation, and Aliko Dangote endowed the Foundation with a multibillion-naira fund. A new management team was appointed in January 2015, and a new strategy has now been developed.
The primary focus of Dangote Foundation is nutrition, with wraparound interventions centred on health, education and empowerment. The Foundation intends to fund an ambitious nutrition strategy that will see a significant reduction in undernutrition in Nigeria. This program will cover all states in the northeast and northwest, and will reach over 10 million families by 2030. The four main pillars of the intervention include community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), behaviour change communication (BCC), livelihoods and empowerment, and advocacy and leadership for nutrition.
The Grants Manager at Dangote Foundation will be responsible for providing grants management and technical support to all program activities and investments of the Foundation with a focus on the flagship nutrition program. The Grants Manager will support every stage of the grant cycle from identification of potential grantees, reviewing grants proposals, conducting due diligence, preparation of grants agreement, providing progress report of each grant, supporting various evaluations and grants close out or termination.
- Support the initial evaluation of grants proposals
- Support the management of the overall grants submission and approval process
- Lead the initial and subsequent assessment of all potential and existing grantees
- Prepare grants agreements in collaboration with the Foundation senior management for all grants awarded and ensure that all documentation are received before the funds are disbursed.
- Monitor the progress of all grantees with respect to contractual milestones and grant agreement.
- Ensure that grantees comply with the Foundation’s implementation and reporting guidelines
- Ensure submission of timely reports (narrative and financial) that meet the Foundation’s internal requirements.
- Maintain adequate documentation to support grants-related activities and ensure adherence with the Foundation’s standards
Grantee Relationship Management
- Maintain regular contact with all grantees and in conjunction with the technical team, conduct at least one site visit per quarter for each grantee
- Arrange regular feedback sessions for grantees to track progress and issues in the administration of the grants
- Providing technical assistance to grantees where applicable to enable grantees meet their program targets
Financial Management Support
- Oversee the financial management of grants, including budgets and audit to ensure timely grant disbursement
- Ensure the timely disbursement of funds to grantees in line with the disbursement schedule in the grant agreement
- Ensure the integrity of grantees financial reporting and effective control of financial assets
- Advice on basic accounting records to be maintained by grantees
- Coordinate the training and development needs of grantees in financial management
- Ensure regular update of the Foundation’s Grants Management Policies and Procedures
- Ensure that grantees have adequate internal controls to prevent misappropriation of any Foundation grants
- Support program activities including meetings and trainings
- Provide general support to program activities and office management
- Carry out any other task as assigned by supervisor
Key Working Relationships:
MD/CEO, Director of Health and Nutrition; Program Officers, Program Support Officer, MEAL Adviser; Office Manager, Project Manager, Accountant.
National and international NGO staff; Community and religious leaders; relevant staffs of government line ministries, departments and agencies; Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and donor agencies
Qualifications and Skills:
- Good university degree preferably in Finance or related field
- Professional qualification like ACA/ACCA/CISA or similar qualification is essential
- Minimum of 7 years post graduate experience with a minimum of 3 years’ of grants management/administration experience in a medium to large non-governmental organization involving coordination of multiple complex international grants; experience in auditing or compliance function is an asset
- Advanced degree or holders of master degree will require a minimum post qualification experience of 5 years with at least two years’ experience in grants management and compliance.
- Demonstrable track record of providing support to senior management team;
- Ability to communicate effectively across a broad spectrum of staff, orally and in writing;
- Knowledge of compliance requirements of traditional donors and experience working with local and international NGOs
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft programs (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Experience in reviewing contracts and agreements
- Strong relationship management experience with the ability to engage with a diverse range of stakeholders
- Demonstrable ability to prepare concise and well-structured reports and presentation
- Willingness to travel outside station frequently
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/468484 to apply for this job .