Director of Health and Nutrition
Dangote Foundation (DF) is a private foundation of Aliko Dangote established with a mission to enhance opportunities for social change through strategic investments that improve health and wellbeing, promote quality education, and broaden economic empowerment opportunities. Dangote Foundation was incorporated in 1994 as a charity in Lagos. 20 years later, the Foundation has become the largest private Foundation in sub Saharan Africa, with the largest endowment by a single African donor. The organization started off being largely grant based but has evolved to operate and implement programs, and has intervened in various areas, most notably health care and disaster relief.
In 2013, Dangote Foundation partnered with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to work on eradicating polio and strengthening routine immunization in Northern Nigeria. As a result of that partnership, there has not been any new case of polio since July 2014. In 2014, a board of trustees was appointed to oversee the Foundation, and Aliko Dangote endowed the Foundation with a multibillion-naira fund. A new management team was appointed in January 2015, and a new strategy has now been developed.
The primary focus of Dangote Foundation is nutrition, with wraparound interventions centred on health, education and empowerment. The Foundation intends to fund an ambitious nutrition strategy that will see a significant reduction in undernutrition in Nigeria. This program will cover all states in the northeast and northwest, and will reach over 10 million families by 2030. The four main pillars of the intervention include community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), behaviour change communication (BCC), livelihoods and empowerment, and advocacy and leadership for nutrition.
The Program Support Officer for Health and Nutrition (PSOHN) will provide both programmatic and operational support for health and nutrition activities of Dangote Foundation. S/he will ensure effective knowledge management and communication systems for health and nutrition activities, and will also provide logistic, administrative and financial support to the health and nutrition team. The Program Support Officer will ensure partners’ compliance to Foundation policies and procedures, and will ensure smooth running of the Abuja sub-office. S/he will report to the Director of Health and Nutrition but will maintain close liaison with the MEAL Adviser, Office Manager and Program Officers.
- Liaise with Admin Manager (Abuja) and Office Manager (Lagos) to ensure adequate logistic, financial and administrative support to Health and Nutrition team
- Organize and support meetings of H&N staff both within and outside the office
- Ensure the Abuja sub-office of the Foundation runs smoothly: attend to day-to-day challenges and document issues accordingly
- Ensure availability of office needs including furniture, stationery, equipment, and infrastructure (power, water, internet etc.)
- Receive and document internal and external guests that visit the Abuja sub-office
- Manage the Abuja sub-office petty cash flow and ensure proper documentation of expenditure
- Coordinate and support staff movements including leaves, field/HQ trips, and meetings/appointments
- Work with office manager (Lagos) to arrange international travel logistics for staff where applicable
- Maintain an inventory of all Dangote Foundation equipment in Abuja
Grants Management and Compliance
- Support the process of identification and engagement of implementing partners for health and nutrition programs
- Support the whole range of grants management activities beginning from pre- award assessments, monitoring/compliance visits and close-out procedures
- Communicate Dangote Foundation grants policies and procedures to partners and organize trainings where necessary
- Review partner liquidations and financial reports before onward transmission to the finance team in Lagos. Identify compliance issues and carry out appropriate actions as detailed in the Foundation grants manual
- Carry out periodic checks to ensure partners comply with agreements and MOUs, and document any variances
- Maintain grants files and ensure they are up-to-date
- Support internal and external audits
Communications and Documentation
- Maintain records of all health and nutrition program activities – both hard and soft copies
- Document all meetings and share reports accordingly
- Document case studies and success stories of program activities: visit field visits, interact with beneficiaries and get firsthand information and pictures
- Work with Program Officer to follow up and document requests for medical assistance
- Work with MEAL Adviser to ensure an effective information management system for program activities
- Ensure all team members prepare and submit trip reports following every trip out of Abuja
- Manage all letters and other communication to and from the Abuja sub-office including those relating to NGOs and government partners
- Support program activities including meetings and trainings
- Coordinate and host meetings with partner staff
- Carry out any other task as assigned by supervisor
- Key Working Relationships
MD/CEO, Director of Health and Nutrition; Program Officers, MEAL Adviser; Office Manager, Project Manager, Accountant.
National and international NGO staff; Community and religious leaders; relevant staffs of government line ministries, departments and agencies; Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and donor agencies
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in Nutrition, Health, Management, or related field. Master’s degree preferred
- Five years of working experience in health, nutrition, WASH or food security program
- Understanding of donor grant provisions and guidelines, including proposal formats and reporting requirements
- Capacity to work closely, understand, and support implementing partners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent training and facilitation skills
- Experience in staff development and partner capacity preferred
- Demonstrated capacity to manage offices and provide operational support to program teams
- Experience with participatory methods and partnerships required. Demonstrated capacity and experience with institutional strengthening of local civil society and government agencies.
- Flexibility to work both in a team and independently.
- Cultural sensitivity, patience and flexibility.
- Demonstrated personal accountability and driven to serve others.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills required. Knowledge of Hausa language is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 50% of time.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/468476 to apply for this job .