Networking is important. We all know that sometimes it is not what you know but who you know, as the famous saying goes. This means you must take every opportunity you can to network. This includes attending events, catching up with people on social media and even creating events or opportunities for yourself to meet new people in different industries.
So what does a networking event involve? Your first networking event can be very overwhelming, especially as you are the new guy entering the complicated world of social circles and conversations. Overtime, networking becomes very natural and you start to enjoy the opportunities you are given and the new people that you meet. However the first time is often the worst.
Here are the 12 thoughts that go through your head at your first networking event. It gets better, we promise!
1) I have absolutely no idea where this building is.
Google maps isn’t working and I am now going to sit and cry in the middle of the street.
2) I do not know a single person here.
Why does everyone know each other? Why are they all hugging? SOMEONE HUG ME.
3) FREE WINE AND CHAMPAGNE.
Do I look like an alcoholic right now? Probably. Do I care? No.
4) FREE FOOD!
Do I look like a pig? Probably. Do I care? No.
5) I look extremely socially awkward.
I am sitting alone. In the corner. Alone.
6) I am going to approach someone.
This is it, this is the moment we have all been waiting for.
7) I lied, I am going to the toilet.
I am going to my safe place, NO ONE WILL FIND ME THERE.
8) Suck it up and talk to someone.
That man looks friendly.
9) Everything I just said to that man was inappropriate.
No seriously, I should not of said that.
10) Okay conversation is flowing, I’ve got this.
Or is it the wine that’s flowing? I just don’t know anymore.
11) I can’t remember anyone’s name.
I also forgot to exchange details…
12) I should really spend some time on improving my networking skills.
Source: The Undercover Recruiter