“Where does this organisation want to be in 5 years time?”
That sentence explains the focus of this module. Think of just three examples:
- Nokia has moved gradually from mobile phones to mobile computing.
- Disney has moved from cartoons to diversified entertainment, for example setting up five Disneyland venues around the world, and buying ABC Television in the US.
- Other companies “stick to their guns” and decide to focus on the business they know best.
How do senior managers in the various companies choose those aims? You can get an idea of the questions they need to consider by studying this definition of strategy.
Strategy is the long-term direction and scope of an organisation, which achieves advantage in a changing environment through its configuration of resources and competences with the aim of fulfilling stakeholder expectations.
Looking at that definition, you’ll see that managers need to ask questions like:
Learning Outcomes Are
- What are our long-term aims?
- What business or market segments do we want to be in?
- How can we do better than our competitors?
- How do we react to changes in our environment?
- What skills and other resources do we have?
- How can we best satisfy the needs and wishes of our shareholders, employees, suppliers, neighbours and the wider community?
- Identify the various influences from the internal and external environment.
- Use a variety of techniques for assessing the impact of those environmental influences
- Identify a range of different strategic options, such as developing new products, outsourcing, mergers etc
- Analyse and compare the different options and to select the one that best suits the organization
The Postgraduate Certificate Courses are short online courses that can be completed between 5 hours - 3 months. The courses can be started at anytime and the study time is also flexible.
Candidates are expected to have a minimum of 50% in their test assessment for them to have successfully completed the programme after which they will be issued a soft copy of their certificate via mail.
However, candidates who do not meet up to the 50% pass mark will have to repeat the test and pay a resit fee of N10,000 before their certificate can be issued.
Since the PGC Programme is a Postgraduate (MBA Pathway), candidates have the option of completing all the modules + eight (8) assignments to acquire the Level 7 PGD Certificate.