The Nigerian Red Cross, as part of its strategic plan to position itself as Nigeria’s leading humanitarian and disaster management intervention organization, is currently recruiting highly professional and mission-focused individuals to fill the key position below in the organization.
Successful candidates will be joining a visionary organization with an extensive network of local branches in every state and over 800,000 volunteers working closely with those in need of humanitarian assistance.
- The Nigerian Red Cross Society NRCS aims to improve the planning, financing and accountability of its services and interventions, particularly on humanitarian and emergency reliefs, and health services.
- The Head of Communications and Advocacy Department, under the direction of the Secretary General, manages the Communications and Advocacy Department of the National Society and ensures the visibility of the National Society.
Duties applicable to staff:
- Work towards the achievement of the NRCS’s goals through effective managerial and necessary lateral relations and teamwork.
- Show capacity to assist other members of Management and Staff, aptitude for maintaining cooperation, and team spirit necessary to achieve the objectives of the National Society.
- Show initiative and creativity/innovation in implementation of specific tasks.
- Perform other work related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Secretary General or the National Officers
Specific Duties and Accountabilities
- Design and develop the NS Corporate Communications and Advocacy Strategic and Operational plans, and budgets
- Orientation of Governance, Management and volunteers at both Headquarters and Branches on the NS overall communications and advocacy policy and guidelines.
- Documentation and dissemination of key activities, lessons learnt, best practices, and case studies to general public, key stakeholders and Partners
- Design and develop dissemination programmes on International Humanitarian Law (IHL), the Principles and values of the Movement with related Budget in collaboration with relevant Movement Partners
- Design and develop NS IT systems, operational guidelines/policy and conduct related training for staff and governance members
- Printing/Production and distribution of collated Society’s quarterly and Annual Reports for both internal and external consumption.
- Oversee the configuration, operation, maintenance of the website and IT facilities of the National Society
- Strengthen, scale up, and maintain Radio Communication facilities and utilization to Branches in collaboration with Partners and all stakeholders
- Strengthen the capacity of the NS on Advocacy to Development Partners and Government Policy makers that will influence support for the work of the NS and secure both Government and public interest
- Defining advocacy goal, consulting and building relationship, identifying target audiences, identifying allies and opponents, selecting advocacy approaches, identifying key messages, budgeting and identifying resources, the message across.
- Promoting public dialogue and advocacy to attract the support of public & private organizations
- Supervising and coordination all publications and printing activities (Press Releases, Magazines, Brochures, Calendars, Signage, Banners, etc.) to ensure compliance with the requirements of the Red Cross Communication guidelines and policy.
- Coordinating information flow from the National Society to the public, including the media, especially in time of emergencies.
- Coordinate monthly Departmental meetings with programme officers to ensure compliance with approved NRCS policies.
- Ensure that Branches meet minimum standard in Communications and advocacy reporting and implementation of programme activities.
- Undertaking regular Assessment of skills of subordinates and develop and train them in order to improve performance.
- Ensure that monthly, quarterly, six-monthly and yearly Communications and Advocacy reports are produced and submitted to the National Board and CCEC.
- Work with subordinates (Communications and advocacy Department) to develop a set of six months performance objectives specific to each of the employee’s job description and whose performance will be evaluated against.
- Perform annual job performance reviews (APER) of staff of the Department of Communications and Advocacy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Public Affairs, Political science, Communications, journalism or other related field required, from an accredited university or college.
- Master’s degree in law, Communications, or relevant Social science will be an added advantage.
Skills / Abilities:
- Demonstrated commitment to and experience working in a mission-driven environment.
- A seasoned track record in advocacy, communications, policy and partnership building.
- A proven ability to develop and deliver high impacts messages and content specially tailored for the international development community.
- An ability to collaborate at all levels, including executive leadership, Board Members, government officials, and donors;
- Strong ability to think strategically and execute tactically.
- Excellent communication and writing skills; demonstrated public speaking skills and ability to coach staff around public speaking and advocacy.
- Minimum of 6+years of relevant professional experience, working in communication and Advocacy at a national or international level preferable in the NGO sector.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/494451 to apply for this job .