Mercy Corps has worked in Nigeria since 2012, focusing its programming on adolescent girls’ empowerment, economic development, and conflict mitigation. With the insurgency affecting North East Nigeria and displacing millions of people, Mercy Corps initiated humanitarian programming in 2014 to support the conflict-affected population. As a result of the wide-scale needs in 2016, Mercy Corps is scaling-up its humanitarian response to address emergency priorities including food security, non-food items, nutrition, protection, water sanitation, while preparing to address early recovery needs for displaced households and vulnerable host communities. The largest portion of this response is focused on cash transfer programming.
With funding from humanitarian donors including the European Commission (ECHO) and US Agency for International Development’s Office of Foreign Disaster Assistance and Food for Peace, Mercy Corps’ humanitarian program provides direct assistance while building capacity of humanitarian response actors. In addition, it anticipates expanding programming in North East Nigeria, building on concurrent programs to establish a dynamic multi-sector platform.
The Team Leader will be responsible for coordinating and implementing the delivery of humanitarian response programming that includes livelihoods, cash, food, non-food items , wash and shelter interventions for families affected by conflict from both host and displaced communities. The position includes field leadership of humanitarian program, management of daily program activities and staffs, ensuring appropriate systems and support mechanisms are in place to track, analyze and report on results as well as engagement with senior management on the strategic direction of the overall emergency and recovery program. The post holder will represent Mercy Corps on state level humanitarian coordination platforms.
- Lead the program team in implementation of the humanitarian program.
- Create and sustain a work environment of mutual respect in which team members strive to achieve excellence
- Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews
- Hire, orient and supervise new team members as necessary
- Provide team members with information, tools and other resources to improve performance and reach objectives
- Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes.
Representation & Fundraising
- Identify, build and manage partnerships on state and local levels with different stakeholders such as state and local government, civil society, UN agencies, peer INGOs, businesses and program participants.
- Communicate effectively to ensure overall project targets and donor obligations are met.
- Host and ensure logistic support for donor or other stakeholders field visits
Strategy and Vision
- Recognize and bring forward opportunities for innovative action and create an environment of empowerment, inclusion and participation
- In coordination with management set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions and resources to achieve objectives and contribute to country-wide strategy development
Finance, Operations and Compliance Management
- Ensure compliance with donor and Mercy Corps regulations related to humanitarian programming and operations.
- With the support of the Operations Manager ensure adequate operational systems are in place to provide for programs
- Manage humanitarian program budget(s)
- Maintains ultimate responsibility for the security and safety of Mercy Corps staff and resources in the field.
- Ensure compliance with security procedures and policies as determined by country leadership
- Consistently demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure, even under difficult circumstances
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/492635 to apply for this job .