Mercy Corps Nigeria's humanitarian program aims to provide assistance to populations affected by the crisis in Northeast Nigeria. With funding from humanitarian donors including OFDA, FFP, and ECHO the humanitarian programs engage in several interventions including but not limited to food assistance, logistics and relief commodities, protection, livelihoods, WASH and capacity building of humanitarian response actors. Mercy Corps plans to scale up and expand its humanitarian response in Northeast Nigeria to reach more beneficiaries with additional and varied assistance in a wider geographic area.
General Position Summary:
- The Procurement Officer is responsible for overseeing procurement aspects of Mercy Corps’ South Borno program operation.
- Working closely with Program, Administration, Finance and Logistics the Procurement Officer is instrumental in supporting program activities through timely procurement of program supplies and office running supplies.
Essential Job Functions
- He/ She will be the lead person in all procurement process in South Borno ensuring there is timely delivery of all supplies with complete document of the whole process.
- Coordinates daily Mercy Corps (MC) procurement activities, with respect to internal procedures.
- Possesses a full understanding of MC procurement policies and formats. Provide training to new staff on these policies and provided refresher training as gap in staff knowledge are identified;
- Assists staff as needed on creating clear and understandable purchase requests (PR) and other documentation;
- Collects quotations and bids from the market for PR-s with support from Senior Procurement & Logistics Officer in Abuja - as per Mercy Corps standards and formats;
- Maintains PR Master Lists and shares with staff on weekly bases.
- Interact with vendors during collection of quotations - explain Mercy Corps formats and ensure that vendors will use the provided forms.
- Ensures fair competition and strictly adhere to Mercy Corps procurement rules regarding vendor relations as described by Mercy Corps
- Interacts with contractors, in coordination with the Senior Procurement & Logistics Officer, Operations Manager and Team Leader, deputy Team Leader.
- Ensures that the required documentation of supplies and transactions are completed to Mercy Corps standards.
- Raise payment request for vendor’s payments and monitor the status of each payment.
- The Procurement Officer will:
- Always accord prompt and courteous reception and fair and equal treatment to all vendors/suppliers and their representatives.
- Provide equal opportunity for vendors/suppliers to make price and specification quotations.
- Guarantee the confidentiality of all specifications and price quotations made by vendors/suppliers.
- Decline to take advantage of vendors/suppliers’ errors, and show consideration for vendors/suppliers’ difficulties by co-operating with them whenever possible.
- Avoid subjecting vendors/suppliers to needless expense or inconvenience when requesting quotations or returning goods.
- Explain as clearly and fully as possible to vendors/suppliers the reason(s) for the rejection of their bids/proposals.
- Remain scrupulously free of obligations to any vendor/supplier.
- Remain informed about sources of supply, methods, services and materials and encourage vendors/suppliers to test and develop improved or expanded products and services.
- Inform vendors/suppliers about current and anticipated requirements.
Knowledge and Experience
- Degree in Business Studies, Accounting is desired. 2-3 years of experience in large scale supply chain management, preferably with an International Non-Governmental organization.
- Strong organizational skills; ability to interact effectively with international and national personnel.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- High computer skills on MS Office programs, especially in MS Excel.
- A demonstrated ability to multi-task and process information into action as to not delay program activities.
- A clear understanding of procurement ethics and donor compliance is essential.
- Success Factors
- Conscientious with an excellent sense of judgment
- Ability to work simultaneously on multiple tasks
- Willingness and ability to work effectively with a wide variety of people
- Ability to work as part of a team and coordinate with project personnel
- Good spoken and written English and knowledge of local language, Hausa, Babura etc.
- Computer literate and strong organizational skills.
- The successful candidate will have a can-do attitude. Ideally s/he will have previous experience in working in large-scale emergency programs in insecure and conflict-affected contexts. Conscientious with high work ethics.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/492122 to apply for this job .