JEI-Nigeria is looking for a committed individual with significant experience in legislative / policy advocacy to join our team as a Policy Advocacy Officer based in Lagos. He/she will be an innovative thinker and with strong technical skills, who is committed to meaningful participation of the poor in policy making and supporting grassroots efforts to engage in public dialogue and policy advocacy. The Policy Advocacy Officer will work with all the members of the JEI-Nigeria staff, community paralegals, and members of the Nigerian Slum/Informal Settlement Federation.
- Work with JEI-Nigeria staff, community paralegals, and members of the Nigerian Slum/Informal Settlement Federation to develop and implement long-term policy advocacy strategies and specific advocacy campaigns, employing a range of advocacy techniques including grassroots mobilization, coalition-building, media advocacy, etc.
- Train community paralegals and members of the Nigerian Slum/Informal Settlement Federation’s Policy Advocacy Committee on advocacy techniques and empower them to be the leaders of their own advocacy efforts.
- Participate in project management and other responsibilities beyond policy advocacy as part of the JEI-Nigeria team.
- At least 3 years experience in legislative / policy advocacy. Please describe the required experience in a short cover letter. Candidates with more than three years’ experience are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and implement long-term policy advocacy strategies and manage multi-pronged campaigns.
- Strong writing, research, and oral advocacy skills.
- Training / teaching skills.
- Experience working with grassroots movements a significant plus.
- Experience doing policy advocacy related to land, urban policy, livelihoods, poverty alleviation, or other relevant topics a plus.
- NGO project management experience a plus.
- Degree in law, public policy, or other relevant field welcome.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or in a startup environment a plus.
- Fluency in “broken” / Pidgin English required. Fluency in Yoruba, Egun, and/or Hausa languages skills a significant plus.
A competitive salary and benefits will be commensurate with experience.
How to Apply:
Please send a CV/résumé, cover letter, and two writing samples from relevant work via email with "Policy Advocacy Officer" in the subject line by 15 November 2016. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/489983 to apply for this job .