Job Summary: Performs a variety of professional level accounting duties involved in preparing, maintaining, analyzing, verifying and reconciling complex financial transactions, statements, records and reports; maintains the accuracy of the Company’s ledgers and subsidiary financial systems; preparation of budgets, annual audit and year end closing; and provide responsible financial advice to the Management.
The job roles/functions of the Accountant include but not limited to the following:
· Perform a variety of professional accounting functions; maintain accuracy of general, revenue, and expenditure ledgers and subsidiary financial systems.
· Reconcile financial ledgers and records; prepare financial statements and reports, general and subsidiary ledgers and supporting schedules; research and resolve discrepancies.
· Review and audit all accounts payable; purchase orders, cash receipts , payroll, utility billing and other accounting records and transactions; ensure money is posted to correct accounts and that all accounts balances.
· Prepare bank reconciliation and related journal entries for a variety of accounts.
· Ensure that internal control measures are judiciously followed and reviewed periodically.
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date subsidiary creditors and debtor ledger.
· Ensure the timely rendering of statutory returns to appropriate authorities, i.e. PAYE, VAT, and PENSION, etc.
· Supervise store control activities; the monitoring of stock taking, prevention of loss, pilferage and theft.
· Ensure monthly and other supplementary invoices are timely raised, dispatched to the clients and acknowledged copies securely filed.
· Monitor revenue and control expenditures.
· Ensure the timely preparation of payroll, submitted and approved not later than two days (Saturday and Sunday not included) to the pay day.
· Overseeing accounting activities in all branches, ensuring that all processes are simultaneous and replicated nationwide.
· Generate monthly financial reports, statement and schedules for management’s review.
· Provide responsible financial advice to the Management as appropriate.
· Prepare financial and other departmental reports of preceding month and submit to management on or before the 7th of the succeding month.
Knowledge, Skill and Ability (KSA’s)
· Must possess the knowledge of key operations, services and activities of general accounting programs (i.e QuickBooks etc) and generally accepted accounting principles
· Principles and practices of governmental accounting
· Performs a variety of professional accounting and financial analysis functions; Principles and practices of financial record keeping, reporting and financial analysis functions.
· Interprets and apply all local, state and federal laws, codes and regulations relating to accounting.
· Understand and carryout oral and written instruction; ability to delegate and communicate clearly and correctly.
· Effectively establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
· A minimum of Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in accounting, business administration, finance, or related field.
· Possession of a Professional qualification(s) in ACCA, ICAN etc.
· Minimum of four years increasingly responsible experience performing journey to complex accounting and finance work, preferably in a municipal setting.
Must be well experienced and knowledgeable of QuickBooks Accounting software