United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) - For over 65 years, the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has been protecting the rights and well-being of refugees all over the world.
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Nigeria wishes to engage the services of a Senior Protection Assistant in its Maiduguri Office on a fixed term basis.
- Under the general guidance and support from the Protection Associate, the Senior Protection Assistant will monitor protection standards, operational procedures and practices in protection delivery in line with international standards and provide functional support to information management and programme staff.
- To achieve this, the incumbent will need to build and maintain effective interfaces with communities of concern, local authorities and protection and assistance partners by performing the following duties:
- Consistently apply International and National Law and applicable UN/UNHCR and IASC policy, standards and codes of conduct.
- Provide counselling on protection issues to persons of concern; liaise with competent authorities to ensure the issuance of personal and other relevant documentation.
- Support activities in protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Conduct preliminary information gathering and interviews in support of eligibility, status determination, durable solutions and social needs assessment.
- Contribute to measures to identify, prevent and reduce statelessness.
- Contribute to a country-level child protection plan as part of the protection strategy.
- Contribute to a country-level education plan for persons of concern as part of the protection strategy.
- Monitor Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) for all protection/solutions activities.
- Participate in individual protection case management including cases of SGBV and child protection. Monitor and report on cases of refoulement, expulsion and other protection incidents.
- Assist in identifying durable solutions for persons of concern.
- Contribute to the design, implementation and evaluation of protection related AGD based programming with implementing and operational partners.
- Assist in drafting reports, routine correspondence, updating relevant databases and compiling statistics for the protection unit/section.
- Contribute to initiatives to enhance national and local protection capacities.
Essential Minimum Qualifications
- Completion of Secondary School. Additional Training courses in protection related issues.
- 4 years relevant job experience.
- Fluency in English and working knowledge of another relevant UN language or local language.
- Desirable Qualification and Competencies
- Good computer skills.
- Completed Protection Learning Programme.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/486195 to apply for this job .