We are an indigenous company, positioned as a preferred Marine Logistics/ Maritime Security Service Provider, recognized for safe, reliable, prompt, efficient and quality service delivery for the market and communities we serve in.
The chief engineer supervises the engineering department. The engineering department operates and maintains ALL the equipment on board. This includes everything from the ship's engines, electronics, winches, windshield wipers, etc.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensuring International/National Rules & Regulations, relevant Shipping Industry Standards and Guidelines and Company Policies and Procedures are followed throughout his areas of responsibility
- Assisting the Masters to prepare Engine Watch schedules and giving clear and precise instructions in the Chief Engineer’s Daily Order Book
- The safe and efficient operation of the engineering plant as per requirements of the Safety Management System and Manufacturer’s standards
- Ensuring a safe and hygienic working environment in his areas of responsibility.
- Ensuring correct maintenance of all shipboard machinery and equipment and keeping proper records and adequate supplies of spare parts and tools
- Ensuring the proper manning of Engine Room Watches and maintaining a Watch at sea.
- Ensuring all safety and environment protection equipment and devices in his department are in full readiness.
- Assigning maintenance/repair work to the Engine Room maintenance team.
- Reporting Accidents, Near Misses and Non-Conformances to the Master, assisting with investigations into the cause and suggesting Corrective and Preventive Action.
- Suggesting changes to improve the Safety Management System implemented in his areas of responsibility.
- Ensuring documentation associated with his areas of responsibility are maintained in accordance with Company procedures.
- Attending Safety Committee Meetings.
- Must be organized to efficiently maintain the engine room and must also be able to work under pressure and within time constraints in the event of an emergency. Man management skills are essential for a role in Marine Engineering at a senior level.
- Must also be able to communicate well as part of a small team, and work cooperatively with other colleagues.
- Knowledge and maintenance of GM Engines
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience
- Minimum of Secondary School Certificate Examination (S.S.C.E)
- Basic Mandatories, Advance Mandatories, Certificate of Competency (C.O.C), Officer of the Watch (O.O.W) or Class 3
- Must have a recognized Seaman’s discharge book and a valid offshore medical certificate
All vessel positions can be physically demanding. Bending, climbing, repetitive motion, and heavy lifting are requirements of most vessel positions. Every crew member works varied shifts, which average 12 hours a day, every day.
Ratings in Engine Room
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/484927 to apply for this job .