The International Rescue Committee is an NGO that serves refugee and communities victimized by oppression and violent conflict worldwide. Since October 2012, the IRC has been responding to humanitarian needs of Nigerians. The IRC initially intervened in response to floods that affected over 7 million people across the country, destroying harvest and damaging homes. The IRC is currently implementing programs in Health, Child Protection, WASH, Nutrition and Women’s Protection and Empowerment (WPE) in Adamawa and Borno States in North-Eastern Nigeria.
The IRC’s WPE program implements prevention and response activities to address gender-based violence and give voice to women and girls. Gender-based violence (GBV) is a serious human rights and public health issue affecting women and girls around the world. It impacts all aspects of women and girl’s physical, emotional, psychological and social well-being. It has harmful consequences for the individuals who experience it, their families, and communities as a whole.
Scope of Work
The WPE Senior Manager will be the lead for IRC’s innovative WPE mobile response, with an integrated reproductive health component, in Borno State in LGAs outside Maiduguri. With technical support from the WPE program coordinator, the WPE Senior Manager will be responsible for leading implementation of a mobile WPE Program in Konduga, Monguno, and newly accessible LGAs in Borno State and ensuring that quality services are provided . In addition the WPE Senior Manager will develop and lead assessments that will be coupled with a rapid response mechanism to ensure women and girls have access to life-saving services from the beginning of an LGA becoming accessible. S/he will provide technical oversight to prevention and response staff in the area of protection and empowerment of women and girls (and the effects of the conflict on women and girls in general), with an emphasis on coaching staff to build their capacity, preparing a team for rapid responses, training on WPE and RH rapid assessments, training on WPE rapid responses, advocating for improved services for women and girls, and setting-up quality mobile response to reach women and girls in conflict affected areas.
Depending on security, the WPE Senior Manager will be managing the at least three WPE mobile teams remotely. Due to the unpredictability in Borno State, the Senior Manager will expected to make quick, sound judgements on where the mobile team needs to implement. The Senior Manager will be expected to stay abreast of security issues and how it will impact the mobile team and the beneficiaries they aim to reach.
This position will be expected to travel between Maiduguri and Monguno where WPE teams are being established.
- Program Development
- Provide ongoing leadership, training, and guidance to staff and local partners to ensure programming meets best practice standards and prioritizes the security of beneficiaries and staff.
- Support team to conduct safety audits and take the lead communicating with other stakeholders to ensure all services mitigate the risk of GBV and are in line with IASC GBV Guidelines
- Design and lead assessments to ensure the voices of women and girls inform WPE program design
- Lead the development of coordination and referral mechanisms to ensure GBV survivors can access health care in a timely manner
- Promote and teach good practice in regards to rapid WPE case management and psychosocial support
- Assist GBV IMS manager on IMS data analysis, IMS data sharing, and IMS data compilation
- Develop protocols on information management in insecure environments
- Support the WPE team to develop awareness raising messages to promote uptake of mobile GBV response services in a timely manner
- Support the WPE team to ensure sustained programming
- Promote coordination with the reproductive health team and ensure RH is incorporated into mobile response
- Design and lead on rapid responses in newly opened LGAs
- Prepare the WPE mobile team to respond quickly to emerging crises and newly accessible areas.
- Assess security developments and advocate for integrated WPE + RH responses in Borno
- Provide remote management of team in Monguno with frequent travel to Monguno
- Liaise with the Health Manager to help provide technical support to the midwife team.
- Lead the development of proposals as needed
- Review monthly BvAs and submit monthly BvA corrections
- Prepare and keep updated budget spent out plans in order to maintain program expenditure within budget
- Staff and Community Capacity Building
- Collaborate with the WPE Coordinator and RH Manager to implement the staff training plan for Program Team members.
- Oversee and when necessary conduct trainings for community and service providers.
- Collaborate with the Health Sector to organize Clinical Care of Sexual Assault Survivors training for health staff, as needed.
- Collaborate with the other IRC Program Managers to maintain an on-going training program to ensure WPE is integrated into health, child protection, EH and NFI Distribution and vice versa.
- Liaise with the WPE Coordinator and Field Coordinator as needed for difficult or complex cases.
- Train WPE mobile team on mobile team approaches and best practice in rapid case management.
- Inter-Agency Coordination
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with all stakeholders – including communityleaders, Camp chairpersons, National Emergency Management Agency, State Emergency Management Agency) NGOs, UN agencies, Local Partners and otherIRC sectors to enhance multi-agency and multi sectoral cooperation and coordination.
- Ensure that information from coordination meetings is shared, as appropriate.
- Advocate for women and girls, with feedback from women and girls, in external meetings.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Lead the development and oversee implementation of strong monitoring and evaluation systems Lead the preparation of reports to the Women Protection and Empowerment Coordinator and donors.
- Provide trend analysis on areas where the mobile team is programming in order to improve services and advocacy for women and girls.
- Liaise with other mobile teams on best practices and assist each other with information sharing.
- Administrative Duties
- Oversee administrative aspects of the program including, but not limited to, writing job descriptions, interviewing and hiring staff, developing staff performance objectives and conducting timely performance appraisals.
- Ensure the staff follows IRC global financial procedures and meeting donor requirements.
- Ensure that all internal (IRC) reporting requirements are met and that reports are of a high quality and submitted on time.
- Other duties as required.
- Must have a university degree in public health, social work, or social science, with significant relevant work experience in conflict-affected areas,
- 3 years GBV program management experience, preferably in insecure locations,
- Excellent GBV case management skills and have provided direct case management to survivors of GBV,
- Experience in remote case management or managing mobile teams,
- Experience in managing a GBV emergency response team using rapid case management,
- Experience using and good knowledge of the GBV IMS.
- Good interpersonal and team building skills.
- Thorough understanding of feminist theory and survivor centered programming
- Ability to live and work under pressure in an unstable security environment.
- Knowledge and experience of participatory planning methods
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Experience in grant management and proposal writing is preferred.
- Excellent computer skills: MS Word, Excel, Power point, use e-mail and internet.
- Fluency in English and other language desirable.
- Additional qualities: ability to multitask, ability to handle pressure well, ability to improvise, flexibility.
- Be a team player
- Standards For Professional Conduct
- The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/481530 to apply for this job .