Since 2009, Nigeria has been the scene of attacks by Boko Haram against the population. In particular, the north-east of the country is affected by destruction and displacement. More than 20,000 people have been killed and about 2.2 million people are displaced from their communities.
The project “Support to the internally displaced and resilience of host communities in the north and north-east of Nigeria” will be financed by the BMZ and the EU. It is in the context of Germany's commitment to "fight causes for displacement – stabilize host communities - support refugees". The project is in line with the EU action plan against refugee crises and with the national indicative programme of the 11th European Development Fund.
The project’s purpose is to improve the living conditions of internally displaced persons (IDP), the population in host communities and of idps returning to their communities of origin in north-eastern Nigeria.
The project focuses geographically on the federal states of Adamawa and Borno in north-eastern Nigeria where an estimated number of 5 million people is in need of support. With its measures of rehabilitation and development the project is complementary to humanitarian assistance which is provided by other actors. The planned interventions are closely coordinated and harmonized with other donors and stakeholders.
The project will be active predominantly in informal IDP camps and host communities and communities of origin of idps. It promotes the linkage of rehabilitation and development. The aims of the project are to stabilize living conditions in the IDP population and population of host communities, allow the resumption of social and economic life of idps while they return to their communities of origin as well as the rehabilitation and reconstruction of these communities. Access to formal and non-formal education, to health services, to energy, water and sanitation, the rehabilitation of road and other built infrastructure, the recapitalization of destroyed agricultural production materials, social transfers (cash transfers) and the revival of local economy are examples for areas of intervention. For the rehabilitation and reconstruction in communities of origin, the project will apply a community based and participative approach to draft community development plans. For its implementation the project will collaborate with consultants as well as consortia of international and national non-governmental organizations.
- The Risk management assistant/security officer/security focal point is responsible for:
- Implementing and maintaining GIZ Risk management policies and processes.
- Membership to the Country Risk Management Team (CRMT) with the responsibility for concrete coverage of on-the-spot security management.
- Implementation of GIZ’s framework on safety and security of staff.
- On-the-spot security management
- Maintaining RMO documentation.
- Crisis management support to the country director.
- Maintaining a functional information network
- Situation reports, contingency and crisis planning and preparation.
- Focal person of the overall security for national and expatriate staff in the AO of the IDP project.
- Works independently within established policies and procedures under the general direction of the Risk Management Office Abuja
- Assistant responsibility
- Acts as a Liaison and focal point between the Intl. Risk Management Office, the country director and the international and national staff
- Informs the dispatcher in Abuja on all planned overland travel movement
- Incident mapping.
- Implementation of an incident reporting and alert system.
- Implementation and maintaining of a GIZ in-country travel management system.
- Implementation of site assessments with support of RMO Abuja.
- Professional advisory services
- Ensures that adequate means of communication are in place, equipment is maintained and personnel trained.
- Monitors the security situation, conflict and provision of advisories to ensure safety and security for staff at the highest level possible.
- Ensures together with the project leaders that project vehicles are maintained
- Maintain and update a comprehensive contact list / absence list
- Networking and cooperation
- Liaise and collaborate with different official and informal national authorities as well as national and international risk management entities.
- Maintaining, and expanding a security-relevant network in order to provide comprehensive information on the security situation
- Focal person in security meetings and security coordination committees in Maiduguri
- Knowledge management
- M&E of risks on regular basis.
- Reporting to the GIZ RMO about the security on a regular basis and – if applicable – crisis.
- Measurement and coordination tasks
- Flexible schedule, follow detailed procedures, as well as good customer skills.
- Operations outside normal working hours in case of emergency/ crisis.
- Frequent travels to all areas in the. IDP project AO
- Any other assignments as determined by the country director and RMO.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Good working knowledge of ICT technologies and computer applications (eg MS Office)
- Logistics and/or military background are assets
- Excellent command of oral and written English
- Excellent communication skills
- Good working knowledge of modern and alternative communication systems (telephone, fax, e-mail, internet, Iridium-Sat phones, VHF-Radio, Skype)
- At least 2 years of professional working experience in a similar position and or Professional experience in a comparable position in international Non-Governmental Organisation (INGO), multinational or national organisation.
- Other knowledge, additional competences
- Technical competence using GPS devices
- Fluent in written and oral knowledge of Hausa.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed- corresponding measures agreed with the management.
GIZ Nigeria is an equal opportunity employer, both men and women are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/480234 to apply for this job .