The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, emergency food security, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters, NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours’ notice when a crisis occurs.
In light of the displacement in the north eastern part of Nigeria, NRC is about to start up an emergency response programme in Nigeria to respond to the humanitarian needs.
In October 2015, NRC commenced emergency response programme activities in the area of food security, water and sanitation and shelter sectors in North-Eastern Nigeria. In the coming months, the main focus for NRC would be conflict affected populations including IDPs, returnees and the local communities in Borno State. In light of existing humanitarian needs and the drive of continual provision of durable solution to affected displaced communities, NRC is therefore seeking WASH - Service Support Assistant (Community-based worker) in Farm - Centre community, Maiduguri, Nigeria.
- Adhere to NRC policies, tools, handbooks, guidelines, procedures and SOP’s
- Conduct hygiene promotion campaign through door to door and focused group discussion methods within the IDP host community
- Prepare and develop status reports as required by management
- Promote and share ideas for improvement
- Perform according to NRC’s programme strategy, work and development plan within the IDP host community
- Advocate and train community leaders on community hygiene
- Working closely with water point committees in promoting WASH activities
- Involve and inform communities and community leaders about hygiene promotion activities
- Conduct hygiene promotion campaign through door to door and focused group discussion method
- Assist in the distribution of relevant IEC materials for hygiene promotion within the community.
- Ensure that NRC’s activities are conducted in line with best practice, guided by and effectively abide by the humanitarian principles
- Performs any other duty as requested by NRC Wash Officer
- Diploma in public/environmental health, social science, communication or other relevant educational background combined with relevant professional experience
- Experience from working with hygiene promotion/communities mobilization projects in a humanitarian/recovery context.
- Experience from working with social work and/or with distribution of humanitarian assistance is an advantage
- Knowledge of health problems related to sanitation in emergency situation and appropriate prevention strategies
- Understanding of cultural beliefs and practices
- Knowledge of hygiene promotion methods targeted at adults and children.
- Understanding of basic health messages and their limitations.
- Knowledge of Hygiene promotion messages among children, adult and people of old age
- Knowledge of beneficiary selection for NFI in humanitarian context (vulnerable groups within the affected area).
- Knowledge of appropriate use of IEC materials in promoting hygiene within the community
- Communication and mobilization skills
- Excellent communication skills – written and spoken – in English required.
- Fluency in one or more of the national/regional languages (Hausa and Kanuri preferred)
- Ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Highest standards of ethics and integrity
- Ability to work in insecure environments
- Communicating with impact and respect
- All employees of the Norwegian Refugee Council should be able to adhere to our Codes of Conduct and the four organizational values: Dedicated, innovative, inclusive and accountable
Method of Application
Please follow the following application procedures:
Interested and qualified candidates can submit applications in a sealed envelope with candidates’ name and position clearly indicated
Application letter must be in candidate’s handwriting
An updated CV
Copy of valid means of identification (Passport, Driver’s license, National Identity card or voter’s card)
Copies of school certificates (Please do not send or submit your original certificates)
The Application package should be send to:
Norwegian Refugee Council
Plot 08/10, Jimina Street, Off Damboa Road,
Maiduguri, Borno State.
- Please note that to apply at NRC is FREE!!
- NRC does not ask for money or any form of favour for submission of application or employment.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/477943 to apply for this job .