Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is an independent, non-profit organization (NGO), founded on the basis of humanitarian principles, and human rights based approach, to secure the protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs), and to promote longterm solutions to the problems of forced displacement.
DRC/DDG started up operations in northeastern Nigeria in July 2015, and currently have a representational office in Abuja and a base in Yola, and is in the process of setting up bases in Mubi and Maiduguri. During the first quarter of 2016, DRC/DDG will initiate a new EU-funded programme that seeks to promote stability and socio-economic recovery in Borno and Adamawa states. The programme will focus on the following four programmatic axes: socio-economic recovery; mine action, community safety; and at-risk youth.
We are recruiting to fill this position
The Danish Refugee Council / Danish Demining Group (DRC/DDG) has been operational in West Africa since 1998. Our aim is to contribute to promoting peace and stability, protection and promotion of durable solutions to crisis-affected populations in the region based on humanitarian principles and fundamental human rights.
In July, DRC/DDG opened a new country programme in Nigeria to respond to the significant humanitarian needs and challenges in the northeast. Nigeria’s northeast is currently experiencing a significant humanitarian crisis, which has been the result of the ongoing armed conflict between Boko Haram, the Nigerian military and the Multi-National Task Force. An estimated 15 million people are affected by the conflict, which has led to a state of emergency being declared in three northeastern states and spill-over effects into neighboring countries. High insecurity in the region has made access for humanitarian actors extremely difficult, further exacerbating the situation. DRC/DDG operations have been initially focused on Yola and Mubi in Adamawa State and Maiduguri in Borno State, where we are responding to the basic needs (protection, Mine Risk Education (MRE), WASH, food security, livelihood and NFI/shelter) of IDPs, as well as supporting outreach to affected areas and displacement camps.
DRC/DDG has a representational office in Abuja and a larger coordination and field-based implementation office in Yola, Adamawa State. During the beginning of 2016, DRC/DDG expanded its activities in Borno state to Maiduguri by building a strong emergency response capacity and at the same time, by working to promote resilience and durable solutions for the people affected by the crisis. We are in the process of opening a base office in Yobe state.
The Head of Program (HoP), reporting to the Country Director (CD), and responsible to provide leadership and oversight of Danish Refugee Council’s programming across North East Nigeria.
The HoP will contribute to strategic planning and lead in management of all technical managers within the Nigeria program.
He/she will oversee the country programme, and responsible for sectoral coordination as well as to ensure delivery of the projects/programmes on time.
The HoP is responsible for ensure standard and quality and accountability in project/programme cycle management. He/she leads the development of new programming strategies and reporting to internal and external stakeholders in time.
He/she has a close working relationship with the CD and the Head of Finance and Administration (HoFA), Safety Advisor, Logistic and Procurement Manager (LPM) and Head of Bases (HoBs) as part of the country management team.
The HoP will report to the DRC Nigeria Country Director and will directly line manage numbers of international staff including Emergency Manager, Protection Manager, Livelihood Manager and Programme development and Quality Manager (PDQM).
- Program Strategy: Leads the development of the Nigeria program strategy, within DRC’s overall country, regional and global strategic frameworks.
- Ensures all staff understand the regional and global strategy frameworks and strategic priorities that reflects DRC’s mandate and commitment
- In collaboration with CD, Regional Office (RO) and others, manages a consultative process for sectoral and country strategies development including annual program portfolio analyses
- In collaboration with the CD and PDQM, contributes to fundraising and donor relationship
- In consultation with CD, responsible for the coordination of quarterly meetings, project kick off and closure meetings, and the Quarterly and Annual Review
- Facilitates development of synergy between DRC and DDG (Danish Demining Group) program activities in Nigeria.
- Fundraising and New program development:
- In collaboration with Project Development and Quality Manager, PDQM, Technical Managers and Head of Bases, takes the lead in the development of new programs and activities as required to respond to critical needs of affected people in North East Nigeria
- Work closely with PDQM to ensure development of quality concept notes and project proposals, and support fund raising from traditional and new donors especially OFDA, FFP, ECHO, UN agencies, DFID, and other institutional donors as well as private sectors
- Ensure justifications, and necessary management directions for opening of new strategic locations for program expansion
- Assist and support the CD in fundraising through employing individual as well as consortia approaches
- Work closely with PDQM for a donor mapping, and develop/review fundraising strategy for Nigeria that includes resource mobilization from private sectors.
- Program Delivery: Responsible for delivering a high quality and accountable programs in Nigeria:
- In collaboration with PDQM, ensure that all projects aim, objectives, outcomes and activities are monitored against approved log frames, monitor expenditures and recommends necessary measures to ensure spending are done according to agreed budget and in line with donor guideline
- Working close with PDQM and other Technical Manager to ensure qualitative and quantitative information is analysed, used and reflected in plan of actions
- Ensures all programs and units have work plans which are in line with approved protects and in line with donor agreement
- In consultation with CD, provides directions to Technical Managers and Heads of Bases for a timely implementation, management and monitoring of projects/programmes
- Ensures timely and high quality reporting in English as per agreed deadline and in line with donor agreement
- Finance and Administration:
- Work closely with HoFA, LPM, HoBs and Technical Managers to ensure that budgets are designed in accordance programme/project’s needs.
- Ensure that expenditures are planned and properly managed in coordination with HoFA, Technical Managers and Heads of Bases
- Ensure that DRC policies, procedures and management principles are disseminated and adequately applied at all levels of programmes/projects.
- Quality and Accountability:
- The HoP is responsible for ensuring program compliance, quality, standard and accountability. Tasks include:
- In collaboration with PDQM, ensures that all programs are donor compliance is met and DRC accountability framework is functional
- Provides necessary guidance and support to PDQM so that the M&E Department is effectively functional to ensure quality monitoring and evaluation, capturing lessons learned and best practices and disseminating them across the team/organization
- Work closely with the PDQM and Technical managers to ensure that all programmes/projects meet requirements of Humanitarian Accountability Framework (HAF)/Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS) requirements
- Work closely with PDQM and HoBs to develop/review and implementation of complaints mechanisms for all programs/projects
- Representation and Coordination:
- Ensures that DRC maintains excellent and productive relations with all key stakeholders, especially beneficiaries, local authorities, the humanitarian community and donors. Tasks include:
- In agreement with CD, ensure representation of DRC programmes at States level for example in working groups/clusters, NEMA, SEMA, UN and other forum/events organized by humanitarian community, government officials/departments, etc.
- Ensures that Technical Managers and other senior staff under his/her supervision are appropriately representing DRC at relevant forums/ meetings
- Together with DRC team, conducts regular stakeholder analyses to ensure that DRC has good understanding and maintains dynamics relationships in Nigeria
- In absence of CD, represents DRC Nigeria in strategic forums as required for the organization
- Ensure internal coordination across the sectors/units including work together with DDG Programme Manager for upholding organizational values and principles
- Human Resource (HR) Management:
- Responsible for managing and developing staff under his/her supervision and ensuring that the DRC values and competencies are understood and promoted accordingly
- In collaboration with CD and HoFA, participate in recruitment related tasks, ensures all staff performance objectives are agreed, reviewed on time and capacity needs are identified and met for as per plan for career growth within the organization
- Ensures that all staff are inducted and have adequate knowledge and appropriate attitude on DRC policies, procedures including logistic, financial and safety guidelines/SoPs and follow them accordingly
- Work closely with HoFA, Technical Managers and HoBs in developing capacity building of national team
- Advocacy and Communication
- In support to the CD:
- With Country program team and RO, development and implementation of advocacy and communication strategy aimed at durable solution for displaced population
- Provides/Guides staff to advocate clearly, appropriately and strategically
- In agreement with CD, work with relevant team members in the development of communication materials, including brochures, case studies as well as press releases and disseminate them accordingly.
- Relevant university Degree (Master or Post graduate), preferably in International relations and/or development, Political Science, Management or equivalent.
- Ability to use Logical Framework Approach as a tool in program/project design and follow up.
- Experience in negotiation and advocacy with government, donors, UN and other actors
- Excellent understanding and experience in implementation of international humanitarian principles, standards and Tools
- Excellent written and spoken English skills. French language is an advantage
- Striving for excellence: Ability to focus on reaching results while ensuring efficiency. Strive to produce accurate, thorough and professional work with optimal use of time and effort.
- Collaborating: Excellent in cooperating with and involve relevant parties, actively seeking their opinion and sharing key information with them. Support and trust others while encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Ability to take ownership and prioritize job according to DRC’s overall vision and goals. Take the initiative when confronted with a challenge or an opportunity and aim for innovative solutions.
- Communicating: Excellent in writing and speaking effectively and honestly while adjusting style and tone to the situation. Listening actively to others and involve them in the dialogue.
- Demonstrating integrity: Act in line with DRC’s vison, values and collaboration standards. Encourage inclusion and diversity to ensure sustainable solutions. Actively involve, respect and empower stakeholders.
- Essential Experience:
- Minimum 7 years of experience overseas in humanitarian and development field (including 3 years at senior management level) in complex emergencies, preferably with refugees and/or IDPs
- Experience of strategic programming and planning, field implementation, monitoring and implementation.
- Strong experience in program development and documented skills in formulation of
- program/project proposal as well as budgets and reports.
- Familiarity with EU-ECHO, DFID, UNHCR and US donor guidelines.DRC) is an independent, non-profit organization (NGO), founded on the basis of humanitarian principles, and human rights based approach, to secure the protection of refugees and internally displaced persons (IDPs), and to promote longterm solutions to the problems of forced displacement
This job originally appeared elsewhere.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/474963 to apply for this job .