Director of Health and Nutrition
Dangote Foundation (DF) is a private foundation of Aliko Dangote established with a mission to enhance opportunities for social change through strategic investments that improve health and wellbeing, promote quality education, and broaden economic empowerment opportunities. Dangote Foundation was incorporated in 1994 as a charity in Lagos. 20 years later, the Foundation has become the largest private Foundation in sub Saharan Africa, with the largest endowment by a single African donor. The organization started off being largely grant based but has evolved to operate and implement programs, and has intervened in various areas, most notably health care and disaster relief.
In 2013, Dangote Foundation partnered with the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to work on eradicating polio and strengthening routine immunization in Northern Nigeria. As a result of that partnership, there has not been any new case of polio since July 2014. In 2014, a board of trustees was appointed to oversee the Foundation, and Aliko Dangote endowed the Foundation with a multibillion-naira fund. A new management team was appointed in January 2015, and a new strategy has now been developed.
The primary focus of Dangote Foundation is nutrition, with wraparound interventions centred on health, education and empowerment. The Foundation intends to fund an ambitious nutrition strategy that will see a significant reduction in undernutrition in Nigeria. This program will cover all states in the northeast and northwest, and will reach over 10 million families by 2030. The four main pillars of the intervention include community management of acute malnutrition (CMAM), behaviour change communication (BCC), livelihoods and empowerment, and advocacy and leadership for nutrition.
The Program Officer for Health and Nutrition (POHN) will support health and nutrition activities of Dangote Foundation. S/he will ensure that the Foundation maintains strong and mutually beneficial relationships with its partners. S/he will provide technical support in the implementation of health and nutrition programs, in the review and processing of requests for medical assistance, and in the development of other health and nutrition initiatives and partnerships. The Program Officer will ensure adherence to global technical and program quality standards in implementation and compliance by partners. S/he will report to the Director of Health and Nutrition and will maintain close liaison with the MEAL Adviser and Program Support Officer.
- Establish and maintain partnerships to implement the health and nutrition components of Dangote Foundation’s strategy.
- .Provide oversight technical support to implementing partners on health and nutrition, and ensure they adhere to technical standards in program implementation.
- Support the Foundation’s efforts to manufacture and distribute ready-to-use therapeutic food (RUTF) in Nigeria.
- Ensure the CMAM, BCC, livelihoods and empowerment, and advocacy components of the Foundation’s nutrition strategy are implemented to globally-accepted standards.
- Develop and maintain strong linkages with government and other development partners, and ensure that the Foundation is represented at relevant meetings, seminars and workshops.
- Provide financial oversight and grants compliance to health and nutrition-related grants given to partners, and promote the principles of value-for-money in all Dangote Foundation-funded activities.
- Promote an integrated approach to health and nutrition interventions by ensuring multi- sector representation, consensus building, and participatory engagement.
- Carry out regular monitoring visits to project sites, and provide supervisory support to activity implementation at the community level.
- Support the development of strategy documents, proposals, agreements, training curriculums, briefing documents and other technical and non-technical documents as may be required.
- Support data collection and analysis as well as preparation of high quality program reports.
- Receive, process and follow up requests for medical assistance (RMA) sent to Dangote Foundation. Document such processes and prepare case studies and success stories as needed.
- Analyze program data and accomplishments and contribute to the Dangote Foundation’s learning agenda and thought leadership efforts.
- Maintain strong partnership with partners, government, community/religious leaders and private sector players and other relevant stakeholders in a manner that reflects professionalism and mutual respect in order to ensure ownership and sustainability.
- Ensure constant self-learning and capacity development to keep up with knowledge and trends in the health and nutrition sector
- Perform any other functions as assigned by supervisor
Key Working Relationships
MD/CEO, Director of Health and Nutrition; Program Support Officer, MEAL Adviser; Office Manager, Project Manager, Accountant.
National and international NGO staff; Community and religious leaders; relevant staffs of government line ministries, departments and agencies; Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, and donor agencies
Qualifications and Skills:
- Master's degree in Nutrition, Public Health or related field.
- Five years of working experience in health, nutrition, WASH or food security program
- Understanding of donor grant provisions and guidelines, including proposal formats and reporting requirements.
- Capacity to work closely, understand, and support implementing partners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent training and facilitation skills
- Experience in staff development and partner capacity preferred
- Demonstrated commitment to improving gender equality and gender responsiveness in programming and operations.
- Experience with participatory methods and partnerships required. Demonstrated capacity and experience with institutional strengthening of local civil society and government agencies.
- Flexibility to work both in a team and independently.
- Cultural sensitivity, patience and flexibility.
- Demonstrated personal accountability and driven to serve others.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as required.
- Excellent English language oral and written communication skills required. Knowledge of Hausa language is an added advantage.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook required.
- Willingness and ability to travel at least 50% of time.
This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
Help someone get a job, tell them to visit http://jbng.me/468490 to apply for this job .